1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The one that got away; the official "I wish I hadn't sold that..." thread.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wil_Couch, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Wil_Couch

Wil_Couch

Mar 12, 2013
    My parents bought me a 1976 Rickenbacker 4001 for my 14th birthday (1991) for $150 from a family friend. It was Natural Blonde and sounded amazing, especially with flatwounds on it.

Ten years later, 2001, I sold it. For $250. :mad:

I've regretted selling it from the second those bills hit my hand... But, had to pay the bills.

Despite owning the Ric for 10 years and playing countless shows with it, this is the only photo of it I can find. College band show, ca.1998/99. ...Sigh...

vintage-crop-missy-1-rickhead_zps8c0804b0.

PS, that's my friend Missy. I have no idea what she's pointing at.

2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    [​IMG]

This '66 Jazz. It was in incredible shape. Lightest bass I've ever played, and the tone... Oh, the tone....

:atoz::atoz::atoz:

I will always kick myself for selling that one.

3. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    My Ibanez SR505M - the bass that has felt the most right for me. Tried to buy it back when the guy listed it for sale, but the git turned me down, I'll never know why.

4. dinsdal3

dinsdal3

Apr 10, 2009
    Tucson, Arizona
    i had a surf green Yamaha Attitude P-bass that was pretty similar to the Billy Sheehan one. i sold it ten years ago so i could try out some other basses, i think i ended up buying a mexican jazz and some kinda ibanez 5 string. i still hate myself today for it lol. :rolleyes:

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Old Rick 4001, black with the checkerboard binding. Played like arse and sounded worse. I could have sold it now for much more than I got for it years ago.

If it's for a bass I wish I'd kept my first real bass was an old (this was around '80/81) natural Precision with a rosewood fingerboard and a V neck profile (gave it to a friend). Recently I was able to score a '63 that looks just like it without the V neck. Also had an old MM Sabre around that time that I wish I'd kept.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    98 MIA Jazz. Can't say I did the wrong thing...I sold it because it was impossibly heavy, but it was one of the very best sounding and playing basses I ever played. That's the only one I ever sold that I have any regrets whatsoever. Not a big deal, but sometimes I wish I still had it.

7. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    HEY, I had a Ric just like that......wish I had it back so I could sell it again...along with...

a 60's Gibson EB 3
    a pair of black face Bassmans, (Bassmen?)one was tweed...
    a Vox Spider IV
    and (the only one I miss playing) my 1972 P bass....stolen in 1989.

8. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    98 sterling, a bass I owned for 10 years before I got gas crazy on talkbass.

9. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    Bought a '78 fireglow Rickenbacker 4001 with paper route money new from Sam Ash Spring of 78. Bought a '77 white Fender Jazz with pearl blocks/maple neck for $250 from a guido who discovered he would rather DJ disco tunes than play bass. Bought a 1979 Rickenbacker 4080 4/6 string double neck maple glow with black p/g. Traded them all for a Steinberger XL2 in 1985. Had the Steinberger until selling it and using the money to buy a car in 1991. I don't care much about the Steinberger (I was never happy with the dated sound), but I would give my left arm to have my first Rick 4001 again... and I realize that loosing my left arm would negate the ability to play that Rick....

10. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    There have been a few, but the two big ones that come to mind:

1972 Fender Jazz (sunburst, maple board w/ black blocks & binding) that I found in a shop about 15 years ago for under $1K. Bought it on the spot, but ended up selling it back soon after out of fear that my wife (fiancée at the time) would be pissed that I spent my (our) money without checking with her first.

1987 Yamaha BB5000 that I foolishly traded in for a MIM Active Jazz V.

11. A '62 AVRI P-Bass in Inca Silver. I thought I could always replace it, then they stopped making it in that color. Grrrrrr.

12. dinsdal3

dinsdal3

Apr 10, 2009
    Tucson, Arizona
    ahhh man that hurt a me little just reading it :eek:

13. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    I sold my first Tele bought new in '68. Replaced it with another but used six months later in '72 or so. I still have that one.

I really want a CS '55 with the contoured body. The hard edges of the Tele have started to bother me in my old age.

14. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    My home made dual JBL E140 cab back in the gigging days. The cab itself was too big to carry around, but I would have liked to have kept the drivers. The E140 was one of the cleanest drivers I've ever heard and they could handle unbelievable amounts of power. We sometimes used it as a subwoofer also.

As for the basses, I'm glad I got rid of every one of them. No regrets there.

LS

15. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    LOL - Yeah, the saying "it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission" definitely should've come into play. :D

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Whoever invented that phrase never met my wife.

17. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    I hear ya, James - I had to bargain/plead/bribe/plead/compromise/plead (did I mention plead?) to snag my latest acquisition, a Fender P5.

Getting down on my knees might have been involved, too... Not ashamed to admit it. :)

18. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    kinda wishin I had my '98 stingray5 back. the neck was killer and it played well, but I just wasnt playing it anymore. I traded it in for another bass, that ironically enough, I dont play either.

19. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Walnut Moonstone Eclipse. Two Bart Jazz pickups, passive, and a super thin neck.

But, a TB member has it, identified it by my initials on the truss rod cover.

20. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I sold a custom Warwick dolphin pro 4 with piezo bridge saddles for $1500. Regretting that move.