Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The One that Got Away

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rope, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    Do you have a story about a bass that you regret selling?

My second bass was a 1962 Fender Jazz bass. It's original finish had been stripped, but it was an amazing player. I bought it for $600 when I was in college in the early 80's. I thought I was doing the right thing when I sold it for $1500 in 1990. I had acquired some more "modern" technology and figured I would take the profit. I kick myself almost every day.

Wanna share a mistake?

2. Over the years I've owned many basses... a few that I now regret selling, and quite a few that I don't.

One that I miss was a 1968 or perhaps earlier Rickenbacker. It was so long ago but I'm fairly sure it was a 4001 - twin toasters and I think the Ric-O-Sound box came with it when I bought it used in '71. This was a beautiful naturally finished bass and if I recall correctly the logo on it was reversed black with silver-white writing, checkerboard binding and black pickguard. I owned several Rics at the time so it's hard to be precise, but I do remember that this one in particular was a great bass. Sadly these basses were too fussy in the Canadian climate and I parted with them all. I know I would appreciate this one if I still had it.

In late 1972 I puchased a new black Gibson Thunderbird with white pickguard. I'm thinking that it was a reissue or special edition of some kind. Although it had a fairly beefy neck and a tendancy to dive it also had great tone. I can't remember the last time I saw one of these for sale, but I can think of a couple TBers who would be all over it - me included.

Of all the basses that have come and gone the one that I miss most of all was a Steinberger "licorice stick". It was an early XL-2 if I recall... the first year with the folding rest, and it had EMGs. If you see one of these with a crescent moon on the tailpiece I want it back!!!

Through it all my old '61 P-bass just kept calling me back to play it and wisely I never parted with it.