1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The One that Got Away

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rope, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    Do you have a story about a bass that you regret selling?

My second bass was a 1962 Fender Jazz bass. It's original finish had been stripped, but it was an amazing player. I bought it for $600 when I was in college in the early 80's. I thought I was doing the right thing when I sold it for $1500 in 1990. I had acquired some more "modern" technology and figured I would take the profit. I kick myself almost every day.

Wanna share a mistake?

2. Over the years I've owned many basses... a few that I now regret selling, and quite a few that I don't.

One that I miss was a 1968 or perhaps earlier Rickenbacker. It was so long ago but I'm fairly sure it was a 4001 - twin toasters and I think the Ric-O-Sound box came with it when I bought it used in '71. This was a beautiful naturally finished bass and if I recall correctly the logo on it was reversed black with silver-white writing, checkerboard binding and black pickguard. I owned several Rics at the time so it's hard to be precise, but I do remember that this one in particular was a great bass. Sadly these basses were too fussy in the Canadian climate and I parted with them all. I know I would appreciate this one if I still had it.

In late 1972 I puchased a new black Gibson Thunderbird with white pickguard. I'm thinking that it was a reissue or special edition of some kind. Although it had a fairly beefy neck and a tendancy to dive it also had great tone. I can't remember the last time I saw one of these for sale, but I can think of a couple TBers who would be all over it - me included.

Of all the basses that have come and gone the one that I miss most of all was a Steinberger "licorice stick". It was an early XL-2 if I recall... the first year with the folding rest, and it had EMGs. If you see one of these with a crescent moon on the tailpiece I want it back!!!

Through it all my old '61 P-bass just kept calling me back to play it and wisely I never parted with it.