The ones that got away...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ballin'bass, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Jimks

Jimks

Oct 11, 2016
    Kansas
    the Fender bass, strat and telecaster, the Gretsch Les Paul .... and the amps ... that I had in the 60's (all bought new). And definitely , the Farfisa organ I had. I still ironically have one amp that I kept from the 60's .... and still works fine.

Ballin'bass likes this.
  2. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    There are 3 basses I miss...
    A '96 P-Bass (anniversary edition) sonic blue
    A John Kallas Jazz Bass
    A dingwall Afterburner 5

Attached Files:

Ballin'bass likes this.
  3. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Of the ridiculous amount of basses I've owned over the years (thanks to TB fueling a credit-destroying, crack-like addiction that is GAS), a couple stand out as big, stupid moments:

91 Stingray - Ash/maple, mute bridge, insanely mint and amazing. Sold it to buy a Conklin GT7. I still HATE myself over this, 17 years later.
    90 Steinberger XQ 5 string - Paid $450 for it and though I'd gotten really lucky getting $900 for it on ebay and shipped it to Japan. Years later, I realized how amazing it really was... and I'll never find one again.
    97 Status Empathy 5 - Again, I saw $$$ signs and I sold it. Got it for $1250, played it for a few years, then sold it for $1750. Good luck finding it for under $2500 these days. It was so amazingly well made, too.
    (I'm trying, Rob Green... this jar full of pennies will make its way to you some day...)

To anyone who reads through this thread, I'd just like to convey this message... Money isn't everything.

If you have a treasured bass that increased in value and you want to cash out, remember that values climb a lot in basses, even in the future.
    And if you've said to yourself "I can just buy one later", think carefully about that. Sometimes, the "new one" isn't nearly as good as the one you had. And trying to find the old one could be near impossible. So if you love it for a reason, don't let profit steer you wrong. Think HARD about what you're giving up.

And another thing: if you get desperate for cash, think of trying to sell other things first. When I was strapped back in the day, instead of letting a bass go, I should have sold the amp... or the Playstation... or the golf clubs, etc.
    To me, basses are different than most of the other stuff. It's not just "personal property", it's really PERSONAL. You feel it, you connect with it, it creates a vibe, becomes a voice for you... and you can get attached.
    So if things get tight, even though that bass may be an easier way out of dodge, remember there are less personal items that could probably fix things financially. And they may be much easier to just "buy again" down the line.

Ballin'bass likes this.
  4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I generally haven't regretted letting basses go, but I'd like to get back my old mid-1980's Peavey Patriot, which I sold when I was a relative newb and didn't do my own setups. I loved its looks and tone, and I bet I could get it playing better than it did when I owned it.

I do regret missing out on a couple. First is a Dingwall Super J (P/J) I tested in 2006, which was and remains the best bass I've ever played. I could have afforded it, but couldn't justify it at the time. Well, now they're way more expensive, so I should have just gone for it. (Of course, playing a bass like that at some of my gigs would be like showing up to the demolition derby in a new Ferrari, but why let that get in the way of GAS?)

Another is a 1972 Precision with an "A" neck I drooled over around 2003, before the prices of 1970's Fenders skyrocketed. That would have been a cool bass, and I can still remember the pics on Bass Northwest's site.

Ballin'bass likes this.
  5. Ballin'bass

Ballin'bass

Jun 16, 2014
    Madison, WI
    Great stories and excellent message, man. I couldn't agree more. It's really a terrible idea to get rid of a great instrument for the wrong reasons. I know someone who never stops kicking himself for selling his 1961 tele precision bass for drugs, back in the day. An example of the worst reason to sell a bass, or any instrument. But my point is that I agree with you. Better to sell everything else you got first.

Thanks for the post!

rojo412 likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021