1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The ongoing debate

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by 6bass41r, Oct 28, 2014.

1. 6bass41r

6bass41r

Dec 10, 2009
    yonkers ny
    Hey all,
    So I'm stuck in this predicament....
    Any opinions are welcome...
    I have always been a die hard electric player.
    I started playing my junior year of highschool. I graduated with a degree in composition and I am now in the process of working on my masters in jazz performance on electric bass ( only strictly electric player in the school)..
    Here a few of my concerns ...
    1) being a bit over my head... School is hard. Being the youngest in the program probably with the smallest amount of "jazz"experience.. Tunes,piano, chops, harmonic understanding...
    2)getting my ears together to gain a sense of freedom. Hearing intervals , melodies, harmony...
    3) overall confidence
    4) the big one ....why I started this thread..... Should I double ?!?!
    Should I learn and make the upright thing happen.
    I've played it a little bit... Never seriously and always just noodling on someone's bass . Every upright player always says "you have a great sound" this new motivation is from a clinic Ray Drummond gave at my school last week.... And he turned and said I have a good sound when I was just noodling on my buddies bass. Also my buddy at school has been playing upright for about a year and grew so much an was killing it . He was strictly an electric player.....

Any feedback possible would be awesome ! Thanks y'all