The Onion Strikes Again!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gard, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
  2. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    "There was a similar problem, band members said, with the guitar solos, some of which contained trace elements of what musicians call "passion." In addition, the interplay among bass, drums, and guitars occasionally produced uncomfortable polyrhythmic effects that provoked unintentional toe-tapping or head-bobbing in listeners. The problems were fixed through extensive re-recording."
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ha! that was great.
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Just a little question...

Would anyone be terribly offended if the members of Mathbox 20 and any offspring they may have were uh... forced to come to an early demise?
  5. Matchbox 20 is pretty close to the epitome of "generic commercial pop rock."
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I remember a TV commercial for a radio station that featured Leeza Gibbons (remember her?). She mentioned a list of different artists that the radio station played and Matchbox 20 was one of them.

What are the odds that Leeza Gibbons is a Matchbox 20 fan, and how much can they rock if she likes them?
  7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Get the ice!

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Obviously the most deserving band is Air Supply, but I guess they already got theirs from F.Y.P.

Whatever, I like bands like Matchbox 20; not gratingly terrible, but just generic enough to make fun of. Where would we be without people like them?
  9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    "The release has been eagerly awaited by Matchbox Twenty's enormous fan base, composed of American record buyers who have a limited interest in music but enjoy the act of shopping."

You can replace Matchbox Twenty in this sentence with about a bazillion bands and it would still make sense.
  10. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA

a bazillion and one
  11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've heard live clips of them and they are better than their recordings. My problem with them isn't the music as much as the mix. Their first album was pretty good, but their second one had the guitars mixed way down, and was basically very bland. Rock music mixed like pop, no impact at all. This piece in the Onion hits the nail on the head IMO.
  12. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    "No matter how many times we recorded the new single 'Sitting Down (Hands At My Side),' there was still a certain 'oomph' coming through in the drums, a loud-ish, slightly gripping sound that we couldn't remove," drummer Paul Doucette said. "Finally, after running them through about two dozen filters, we managed to get that 'plastic spork hitting mashed potatoes' sound we were after."
  13. Great article, the Onion rocks!

Hope you guys dont get to hammered by hurricane Jeanne! I lucked out agian down south.
  14. Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark.

Nope, that couldn't possibly describe anyone in MY household... :scowl: :rollno:
  15. This line actually pisses me off...

"Our goal was to follow in the tradition of great multi-platinum artists like Elton John, Phil Collins, and the Dave Matthews Band—sales powerhouses who relied on the musical ignorance of their fans," Thomas told reporters following Monday's announcement. "We knew that if we wanted to match those historic giants for sheer lack of energy, we couldn't settle for anything less than total banality. And, though it took a lot of time and effort, I think we achieved that—an album that sets a new standard for trite crapola."

16. Probably because it's very close to true.

17. hm, care to back that one up? That's quite a bold statement.