1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The only way I'm going to get my bass to look like this...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OptimusPrime, Sep 27, 2008.

1. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    kra83pioneer-stripped.

I love the worn look of this natural bass. It's not as pronounced as a relic on a solid finish. But it looks dirty, used, burnt and awesome. The only way I'm going to get my bass to look like that is if I strip off the clear coat.

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like after a year of having it. I'm hard on my basses and all it has to show is a scratched up pickguard and a few clear coat dings that you can't even see.

My problem is I live in Florida. After a year all my screws are rusted, so are my pole pieces and my fret indicators are lifting out of their spots leaving a half gray half black dot. Having an unfinished bass could potentially mess it up right?

How long would it take for a plain piece of wood to start looking gnarly like that?

I can't decide if I should do it or not. One I got it to a point where I liked it, I would reapply a MATTE clear coat to protect it from any further damage.

Any ideas on what to do?

2. Buy a cheap unfinished body off of Ebay.

EDIT: JAZZ body that is....LOL!...

3. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I think a thin matte coat would look fine and do the job, but there's really no "reason" why you have to have a finish of any kind on bare wood. There's some metalshred guy named Nuno Bettencourt who for awhile used Washburn guitars that were completely unfinished.

I'm not familiar with that guy's work, but I remember seeing that in an interview with him in some magazine.

If you really want it to get funky looking, you might consider leaving it totally bare.

Another option would be to strip it down and rub it occasionally with some kind of oil or polish. Not overdoing it, but coating it and rubbing it in gently with on old t-shirt.

One advantage (I'd think) of removing the finish altogether is that it might allow the wood a good deal more resonance.

Just my $0.02.

4. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    My problem is that I paid $415 for this one piece, swamp ash, clear gloss coated Warmoth body. I'd hate to strip $170 off it then proceed to potentially completely ruin it. I could get an unfinished one piece swamp ash body for $245. Then I wouldn't feel as bad if it got ruined. But still ... $245 is a lot right now.

5. bobinverted

bobinverted Banned

Jul 6, 2008
    Sorry Homos
    Sorry Homos
    Just be happy with what you have!

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    +100.
    Don't worry about it. Just play it.:bassist:

Looks like the finish has just worn off the Kramer. Probably a thin finish. Fender is probably much thicker.

7. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Are the basses made from different woods? Make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

8. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Yeah, but any wood going to get a nice wear pattern going on. For some reason I love it.

9. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    I like the look of these "relic" basses and all, but let it happen of its own accord. With years of playing, gigging, whatever, your bass will be naturally beat up and have its own character. Let the bass tell your story, ya dig?

10. If your bass is covered in poly it'll probably take 100 years to make it look like that. That stuff is pretty bomb proof. :D

11. Just leave it as it is.

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    After nuclear fallout, the cockroaches will be playin' our basses!

13. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Prime, I could always chew it up with my null rays if you like.....:ninja:

...ok...:p My suggestion to you would be to get a Squier VMJ, sand it down and never case it -- just play it and let nature take its course. I live in Florida too and this climate is hell if you want to keep an axe pristine...let the climate work for you. ^_^ And like don't wash your hands before you play it, just be careless with it (well to a point) and it should look pretty seasoned after a while I would think.

14. [​IMG]

15. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    That axe needs to be a T40 in that picture.......