1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The order of my effects....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ctbass, Jan 3, 2012.

1. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    I know there are threads that speak to the order of effects in general terms. But can you guys help with the optimum order from Bass - to - amp. Here is what I have:

Boss Tu-2 Tuner
    Fulltone Bass Drive
    Boss Bass Chorus
    MXR Flanger
    MXR Octave
    MXR Envelope Filter
    EHX Bass Micro Synth

Thanks!

:help:

2. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    You may get totally different answers, but you will get a ton telling you to try different arrangements and go by what sounds best to you. With that said, I'd probably go Tuner> Bass Drive> Octave> Env Filter> Micro Synth> Chorus> Flanger

3. Disclaimer: I do not use chorus or envelope filters

BUT, this is how I would do it:

Boss Tu-2 Tuner
    MXR Octave
    Boss Bass Chorus
    Fulltone Bass Drive
    EHX Bass Micro Synth
    MXR Envelope Filter
    MXR Flanger

4. Yes the general rule of thumb that is quite Ok to break is: compressors->distortion->modulators->delay. The compression evens out the signal, the distortion then adds upper harmonics and the modulation finally adds more flavor + delay is the icing on the cake.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Usually, you want an octave as early in the chain as possible so that it can work with the cleanest signal.

6. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    THanks you guys!

7. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    The Env Filter works on your playing dynamics, so anything before it that changes the dynamics will effect the Env Filter.

8. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I would go with:

MXR Octave
    Fulltone Bass Drive
    EHX Bass Micro Synth
    MXR Envelope Filter
    Boss Bass Chorus
    MXR Flanger
    Boss TU-2 Tuner

I've converted to tuner at the end of the pedalboard to act as a mute switch to cut all signal if one pedal goes crazy or to cut any hiss when nobody is playing. On the flip side, the Boss has a buffer and can eliminate some of the signal loss versus non-buffered.

9. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Tuner first or last, for a clean tuning signal or a mute.
    then the octave pedal, just because they often have trouble tracking properly with other effects in front of them.

After that, just think about what you want acting and being acted on.

Do you want the flange to flange the bass drive, or the bass drive to drive the flange?

I like flange to be near the end to act on everything in front of it. I also like distortion before and after my wah, so i have distortion>wah>distortion>wah; that way i get all the different combos.

Remember to think, what do i want this effect to affect?