1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The origin of 70s Fender Jazz pickup position

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smeet, Apr 19, 2010.

1. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Just saw this in Rick Suchow's interview with Roger Sadowsky, and I found it very interesting:

2. wow fantastic piece of information!

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

Very good Cliff Clavin type info!

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    That makes sense to me. There was never anything in the Fender literature at the time that even mentioned the change, let alone the reason for it. They didn't put out any press, didn't tell the dealers they were moving the pickup, didn't do anything to let anyone know it was happening. And when you look at pictures of basses with the original PUP spacing, you can see part of the routing and the edge of the PUP, depending on the angle.

If they thought it was going to make a sonic difference they'd have trumpeted it in the ads and the NAMM literature. Remember, the reason they went to the big "TV" logo was because a CBS executive saw a Fender instrument on TV, and thought the logo should be larger so it would show up in television (hence the nick-name "TV logo"). It was cosmetics.

John

5. Baleen

Baleen

Nov 8, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Does anyone know if modern standard Jazz's still use the 70's position, or did they go back to the 60's location?

6. I think the 60s position has been used except for the '75 reissue and the Geddy Lee and Marcus basses.

7. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    John Entwistle's Jazz-B does not have that problem:
    Thewho.
    65-jae-jbass.
    6606_fenderjazz_th.

8. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    They went back to '60's position except for various reissues and custom order basses.

9. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Interesting case of synchronicity! I was watching a video about Bluesman Vintage basses and the narrator pointed out how the bridge pickup in the 60's position protrudes a little out of the cover and that it was moved under the cover to 'improve' the look. I've wondered why, but never knew until now...

10. dvlmusic

dvlmusic

Jul 24, 2010
    Alameda, CA
    How much of a difference is there in the measurements?

11. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    The 70's Jazz bridge pickup is 3/8" closer to the bridge from the 60's.