Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The origin of this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Herman, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    I was hoping that someone out there could help me figure out where this bass came from:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27419&stc=1

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27418&stc=1

I bought this used from a private seller about 15 years ago in Baltimore, MD. In addition to the labeling on the headstock, engraved on the neck plate is "Boogie Bodies 009 Kurt Bevers". The only luthier I could find with the last name Fadden was John Fadden of Seattle, WA. I tried to contact him via e-mail about this bass but never got a reply - any ideas on whether this is one of his basses?

Attached Files:

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
  3. Sorry man, I can't help you. But, I have to say, that is one sexy bass. How does that P in the bridge position sound?

4. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
  5. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    It sounds a little thin compared to the one closer to the neck but they sound very nice together which is how I usually play it.

6. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    who is Kurt B?

7. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Kurt Bevers is apparently now the president of http://www.brownellsound.com of Portland, OR. I'd say the bass was built for him. Makes sense, as Boogie Bodies is based up here in the Pacific Northwest as well.

Ken Warmoth worked with Lynn Elllsworth of Boogie Bodies back in the day before starting Warmoth Guitar Products 20 or so years ago. Small world, eh?

8. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for the info - I had no idea who Kurt Bevers is. John Fadden is out of Seattle, WA - it is a small world.

9. 1Dammit!

1Dammit!

Sep 20, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    That bass was assembled by Kurt Bevers and Bishop Cochran, a Luthier now in Spain. It's good to see it's still out there, it was one of my favorites. I am an old aquaintance of Lynn Ellsworth, and I bought the neck from him. John Fadden worked for him for a time. As you can see, he has quite an eye for woods. I sold that bass to my cousin, LaRue Todd, who took it on tour with Johnny & the Distractions, his band at the time who had a record deal. They were the warm up act for the Police (last tour before the 1st. break up), and Asia. Sting tried to buy it from him, but, when I sold it to him, he agreed that if he decided to sell it, I had the first right of refusal. I eventually bought it back from him. In the interim time, I bought a Lado Super Falcon 2, which is a formidable bass, and found that I was never playing that one, so I sold it to Brian Walker, the bass player in a band called Camera, who was leaving to go to LA because they had a deal. I know he toured with a 1 hit wonder 'TACO'. After that, your guess is as good as mine. Good to see my old friend is still in use. Thanks for the memories! Kurt Bevers.