The Osmonds

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Who was the bassist for the Osmonds?
    One Bad Apple sounds like the white Jacksons but it still has a great bass line.
  2. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Someone told me that it was a Mr. Jamerson, but one can never be sure these days. People lie.
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I dunno who it was, but if I played bass for The Osmonds, I wouldn't admit it either :D
    Aberdumbie likes this.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My guess--and it's no more than that--is that it could be Bob Babbitt.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Well it's pretty easy to search on the net and find details of Osmonds' albums - I don't know why nobody else has done this, but to put everybody out of their misery - here's one I found in a few minutes :

Wayne Osmond -- vocal
    Merrill Osmond -- vocal
    Alan Osmond -- vocal
    Jay Osmond -- vocal
    Bruce Nazarian -- guitar, bass, keyboards
    Denny Crockett -- keyboards
    Blue Weaver -- keyboards
    George Bitzer -- keyboards
    George Terry -- guitar
    Ike Egan -- bass
    Sam Foster -- drums
    Kitty Woodson -- vocal
    Rich Dixon -- guitar
    Joey Murcia -- guitar
    George Perry -- bass
    Joe Lala -- percussion
    Fred Wickstrom -- percussion
    Richie Puente -- percussion
    Ken Hodges -- percussion
    The Boneroo Horns
    Mike Lewis -- sax arrangements
    produced by Maurice Gibb, Steve Klein

original records
    Steppin' out. US: Mercury, March 1979.

I also found a story on the Bottom Line :

"Back in 1980 I was a married, poor, college student playing bass part time for sessions and weddings and other casuals. I was living in Utah. I got to know some of the guys in Osmond band and did some sessions and gigs with them. A guy named Ike Egan had been playing bass for the family for years. Very good player. One day, I was asked to come a do a session for Jimmy Osmond for his new record. We were to do one song. It was double scale! I needed the money. "
  7. Hmm, I was guessing Jaco.
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    FiElDy ?
    Or wuz it HoPpUs ?
  9. Bruce Lindfield

10. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Naw, it was probally Carol Kaye.
  11. I need to retract my Jaco statement, I was unaware that the Osmonds used a DB player.

12. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    :D :D ROFL!
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Nah - that's the typical "boy band" tactic of posing with instruments, to make them look more credible, whereas in fact all the instruments wer played by seasoned, anonymous, session players. :rolleyes:
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That picture is BOGUS, man!
    Jimmy O shouldn't even be on the same stage as those guys!
    I'm drawing a blank on the 5th Osmond...there's Donnie, Merrill, Jay, Wayne, & _________

Anyway, saw first these guys on an Andy Williams special(I think)...the next day, the whole damn school was singing "One Bad Apple".
    When they appeared on American Bandstand(a few years later), they were "playing"/holding instruments(Beats standing there doing some Brady Bunch choreography). This was in the "Crazy Horses" time frame...

FWIW, Marie still looks pretty hot.
  15. Yes she sure is.
    The first question sounds like a setup.
    Disclamer: I used to find the answer which is Alan. I did not go into my CD or LP rack to read the back of a disk.

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    small world- Mike Lewis- the horn arranger , is a Miami resident- i have done sessions for Mike- a long time ago- down in Fl--

17. Merrill Osmond, holding down the groove pretty well in this clip, and doing some decent vocals as well :)
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Joe Chemay played the bass on "One Bad Apple"...he had an interview in Bass Player a few months back(part of "OBA" was transcribed).

Anyway, laugh all you want, the bass part on that wanna-be-the-J5 Pop tune sounds like a cross between Jamerson & Jaco.
  19. I was going to post something nice about the Osmonds.... something like 'Ok, it was bubble gum, but competently played, produced and sung', etc., etc.

However, I found that clip profoundly disturbing, and it wiped any lingering positive feelings I had completely out of my 'thought universe' :D
  20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I think Joe Osborne played on some Osmonds stuff?