Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Other Bass Forum (HC)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by g4string, Jun 4, 2003.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I was reading some archived threads and came acrose one from 10 days stating that the guys at Guitar.com were coming over here and causing trouble.

Someone stated that the forum over there was crazy and poorly ran. I feel this way about HC's bass forum. I cann't stand to go over there. The forum is over run with stupid, way off topic threads and just seems like a free for all.

Don't get me wrong, Harmony Central is a great place to get all kind's of music and musicical gear info. I enjoy their gear classifieds, gear reviews, musicians personal ads. I just think their bass forum is horrorible.

I am glad to see that TB is a properly ran forum and continues to be a great place to talk about bass and an abundant soure of bass realted information.

I just wish we had an extensive "user reviews" section like HC.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there's a lot of good folks over at the hc forums. there's also a lot of good info to be had there.

there's no need for an "either or" approach :)

3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    John,

I am not disagreeing with you about the wealth of info at HC. HC is the first place I go before I buy a piece of equipment or need info about. And yes there are a lot of great people who post there.

In general, it is one the best places on the net for musicians to get in touch with one another and share info.

All I am saying is that as far as the bass forum goes I think TB is far superior.

I am not bashing HC so I dont see why the "either or" approach you claim I am using is not justified. We take that approach when we talk about bass gear, why not about other forums. I am merely stating why I do not like HC.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Harmony Central has a 'looser' feel. I would point out that some of the moderators there are memebers of Talkbass. I'll also point out that making negative comments about another board might not be 'bashing' it but certainly opens an invitation for others to do so.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I thought you said "loser" feel for a moment there, CS :eek: :D

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    lol me too

I frequent both forums... it's all good :bassist:

7. I tried "the other" forum at about the time I joined TB. It wasn't for me. There was too much swearing for my taste.

Don't get me wrong. I'm no prude and have been known to "F" it face to face with the best of them. But not on an internet forum. That's not me at all and I didn't like the experience at HC so I joined TB and like it very much. I'm certain this nas to be amongst the very best run and moderated of any internet forum on any subject.

John

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Agreed.

9. everyone knows that the "other" bass forum is the dude pit. it ain't "the" bass forum of course, but it's a lot closer than HC! :smug:

edit: also, we DO have a user reviews section. if you want it to be more extensive, contribute yourself and remind others to do so as well.

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It's a completely different vibe.

TB is more like a library, HC more like a pub.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yep. Or, in other words :
    TB is a bass forum.
    HC is a bassist forum.

Then, there is the secret bass forum, where selected members of HC and TB assemble to discuss the future of our world, in an illuminati way. :cool:

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hee hee hee... I think I know the one of which you speak... ;)

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    "It's a completely different vibe.

TB is more like a library, HC more like a pub".

"Yep. Or, in other words :
    TB is a bass forum.
    HC is a bassist forum".

I don't get either of these analogies.

First, how does TB resemble a library?

Second, what's the difference between a bass and bassist forum?

:confused:

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

TB is where you are quiet and well-behaved - no swearing and no abuse - a lot of other forums are full of "shouting and swearing" - which I presume they imagine, makes it more like a bar or pub and less like a library.

To me, it is the fact that people have to express themselves properly at TB and consider the reader - whereas in other places, people are "allowed" to have no consideration for other people.

I think it is more like the cartoon that was posted in the MIke Money apology thread - so a lot of Internet Boards with "unrestrained" younger members are like sombody running into a public place and shouting - then running out again!

Whereas TB to me, is more like a relaxed bar, that is fairly quiet, but doesn't welcome people running in and shouting rubbish at the top of their voice and then running out again - such people get stopped by the doormen or can even be shamed into leaving, by the regulars! ;)

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This makes no sense at all - hasn't anybody told you - basses can't talk (or type)!! ;)

16. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Well, I was thinking more along the lines of TB being a place you visited to get or provide information, whereas HC is a place to just "hang out" with other bassists.

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Exactly.
    TB is a place to talk about bass.
    HC is where bassists go and talk about whatever, this including music and bass. There is no need to be on topic.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I don't know, folks here are mighty nice to hang with... but then in real life I'm more likely to be found browsing the local Barnes & Noble then sitting on a stool ordering another draft.

I never agreed with the library/pub thing, it's not how I see it at all.

19. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that people here are not nice! But, you must admit, HC is a bit more rowdy than TB!

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

;) <-- I left him out of my other post :p

I read TB by the "new since last login" link. Thou I spend more time here (It is bigger) I find both places pretty equal on most levels. I will give you the HCBF is a tad "looser" like CS stated earlier.

it's all good :bassist: