Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Other Pedal Pre-Amps

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 27, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I was just wondering if any one had any opinions on other bass preamp/DI's that aren't the usual ones discussed here like the Sansamp, M-80, EBS, Radial or Sadowsky

Mainly interested in opinions on

Xotic Tri-logic Bass Preamp
    T-rex Purist
    John East Stomp Box

Any opinions on these guys I'm finding my MXR isn't as clear as I'd like and just checking out the other options out there.

Cheers

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
  3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Just sent him an email asking him for a price.

4. johnp352

johnp352 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK, Malekko, Dredgetone, Pigtronix, Seymour Duncan
    I asked the same a while back. He directed me to the original designer, who I had contacted several years back. On that site, it occasionally mentions that the board might be available, but it hasn't been. I would love a version of this, but I don't know how to build, nor do I know anyone who would want to tackle this project.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Steve - Alex can direct you to a video demo of the Xotic Bass Pre if you ask him nicely :)

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    Hey man.

I've used an L. R. Baggs. Para Acoustic D.I. for one gig and I liked it. It was just your basic clean-tone preamp with preamp EQ controls, with a mid-sweep and a notch filter. Felt very sturdy, and knobs were small, but smooth with good resistance.

http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/products_preamps.shtml

edit: oh yeah it has its own effects loop, and the bass knob is in a good location at 85 hz.

also has a handy low-cut filter at 35 hz.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I use a "DPA-1B" preamp pedal from a Japanese guitar company called Crews Maniac Sound (http://www.crewsguitars.co.jp/index.html). It's super-clean sounding, and designed for practical, every-day use. It has 3-band EQ with in/out footswitch, FX loop with balance knob and in/out footswitch, tuner out with mute footswitch, and a headphone jack. Everything you need, nothing you don't, and it's built very solidly. It is very clear sounding, i.e. it amplifies plenty without adding noise or changing your tone.

8. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    There are video demos of the Xotic Tri-Logic here:

Xotic Video Demos

Most are guitar players demoing the overdrive pedals. Jerry Watts and Larry Kimpel demo the bass preamp.

9. johnp352

johnp352 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK, Malekko, Dredgetone, Pigtronix, Seymour Duncan
    Sounds cool..where did you get it and how much by the time you did?

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

There's always the Behringer BDI21.
    I can't say I'm in love but it sounds decent and the price is just impossible to beat.

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Re: Crews Maniac Sound preamp
    It was a lucky Ebay score, think I paid $150. I don't know of any US retailers, but I mentioned it here because you never know when one of these might turn up again on Ebay, and it's worth grabbing then.