The "other" Sheehan

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jul 29, 2005.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Okay, first let me state that I LOVE the new cat in Blues Traveler. He is absolutley fantastic. I also love the beautiful tone he gets out of his Edens.

But I decided to bust out my old Four cd today. Holy crap, I forgot what an awesome bass player Bobby Sheehan was. He had a pocket wider than the Grand Canyon. Stand, Freedom, Crash Burn: You can't deny his playing after hearing these songs. I never appreciated the groove in Hook so much until today; it's insane. He was such a tasteful player too.

I'm glad I decided to revisit that album today. It made me remember how much I dug Bobby's playing. It also made me sad that he is no longer with us.
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Crash Burn is an amazing song. A lot of their stuff is too bland for me, Hook as well has an amazing... Hook..
  3. Highly underrated player.

Excellent wide and deep pockets. Pity those silly homeboys took possession of the big wide pockets....coulda been a respect thing for bassists.....

Bobby Sheehan pwns his counterpart
  4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Bobby was a great bassist... truly underrated and missed.
  5. Fran Sheehan was the bassist in the band Boston on the first 2 albums.
  6. Boston had a good bassist!
  7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I liked him! Hook is one of my fave songs from the '90s. I love that lick.
  8. i really like blues traveler...hook was a really good song
  9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Bobby was a sick, sick player. It is interesting to hear how nicely he progresses from their first album, in which he overplays, frankly ("But Anyway" is a great example of a bass line that is probably too busy, IMHO) to Four, in which he plays quite tastefully.
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I dug Bobby, though not really an influence I've been told that I sound like him.

I actually prefer Tad! I dig his vibe and tone.