1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The other thread...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MatticusMania, Jul 24, 2012.

1. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    For us lesser men.

Post here if youre only a pretend man.

List your transgressions/man card violations/etc.

2. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I work behind a computer all day.

I dont like to get my hands dirty.

3. Beamrider

Beamrider

Aug 24, 2007
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    I brainwash people into buying my projects.

I have never drilled a wall nor changed a tyre, and sweat profusely when having to use a screwdriver.

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I work on a computer all day as well.

My hands are pretty much always clean. I'm about as un-handy as it gets, my girlfriends have usually better been with tools than me. I did change a tire once, but that was a long time ago.

5. I grew old.

6. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Oh, Im still pretty handy, but you'll find me washing the grease and dirt off my hands for 20 minutes afterwards.
    I change my own tires, and oil as well. Ive even changed an alternator before!

But yeah, Ive got plenty of unmanly qualities.

7. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    I'm not sure which one to post in.

I've done some crappy jobs, in fact my second job is probably the crappiest job in the world EVER.
    I worked for a Septic Tank company installing new systems primarily, but also did truck runs where you go find and dig up the access panel and suck a decade or more worth of human feces out of a giant concrete box. You just don't get much crappy than manually sucking crap out of a hole in the ground.

Then after a few years and some much less labor intensive jobs later, I was an electrician. Pulling wire was definitely labor intensive and back breaking work.

But then I got smart and decided that all that labor was for the birds. I smartened up and worked my way into the General Contractors company and made my way into becoming a superintendent.

From then on it was mainly telling the "real men" how to do their laborious jobs, reading plans, spray painting things orange, sitting behind a computer and riding around the job site in my vehicle being incredibly thankful that I had smartened up and was no longer sweating or freezing or breaking my back.

So do I get to maintain previously earned manliness? Or did I sacrifice my rights to holding my man card when I switched from dirty blue jeans to crispy clean khakis?

8. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    That's me, I can do pretty much anything I set my mind to mechanically and will, have, and do quite often.
    But as soon as I'm done its shower time and scrubbing the crap from under my nails.

9. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I was going to post something in that thread but decided not to.
    It is extremity stupid and macho.
    I guess I am a switch hitter. I own my own business, one day I may be dressed nicely and meeting with bankers, lawyers or traveling.
    The next day I can be covered in sweat and grease doing manual labor.
    I grew up farming and know how to work hard from dawn to dusk.

I know a lot of woman that work manual labor and can kick most guys butt's.
    Big deal.
    There is a lot more to being a man then working a manual labor job.

10. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I have been a blue collar worker most of my life. But I do have a lot of empathy for people who are in pain, I have been set free to cry when I want to and I don't care what anyone thinks about that. Usually when I am feeling some type of powerful emotion. I can deal with physical pain and I am getting better a dealing with emotional pain. (See the real man thread). I love the outdoors, fishing and rare steaks. My favorite clothes are worn out jeans and a t-shirt. I love hugs, romance movie, action movies and I also laugh at inapproriate times. I love my wife more than I ever thought possible. I guess that just makes me confused.

11. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    One summer, I worked "real man" style on a dairy farm. I mostly dismantled/salvaged barbed wire fence and helped tear an old dairy barn down board-by-board. I was fried by the heat, eat up by the bugs and nearly snake bit several times.
    The summer before, I had worked as a carpenter's helper building a house. That entailed every heavy lift and dirty job the carpenters didn't want to do.
    So, upon finishing high school, college looked like a pretty good place to be. I then voluntarily gave up my "real man" card and became the "girly man" I am today.

12. I'm not handy with tools at all, and I just ate a Hungry Man dinner (if you want to call it that). I take it that disqualifies me from both threads?

Guess it's time to start my own...

13. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

You all have to stop worrying about this. If you like the Three Stooges you are real man and no one can tell you otherwise.

Attached Files:

14. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Desk job all day.
    Yoga twice a week.
    Just baked quiche this past weekend.

Come at me, other thread.

15. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I have the entire series of Gilmore Girls on DVD.

I don't think that's a man card violation? It's just a damn good show.

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I did sheet rocking once, and I put a new faucet in my kitchen sink and only had to call my brother-in-law once. I therefore will not become a member of this thread. Changed a flat one time too. Might have even been 2 times.

17. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    I spend most of my days either behind a computer or in meetings increasing the entropy of the universe.

When I go home I like to cook for the missus.

On the flip side I fix most things around the house myself, do most of my own maintenance on the cars and various motorized stuff we have. And when I was younger I had a job driving a steam roller. Can I keep my man card?

18. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I like quiche. (Anyone remember the book this references?)

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
  20. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011