Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Outdoor Rig: Charcoal or Gas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Apr 30, 2005.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It's that time of year again. Which one do you prefer?

This rig is the one we've had since before we were married over 13 years ago. A $50.00 Weber, in 1991 dollars.

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i have a weber too, just got it this year though. i love it.

[​IMG] its perfect for tail gating in any weather.

though, i do love my grandparents huge weber grill. ill take this version for now.

3. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Prefer charcoal, use gas for convenence.

dcr

4. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I have two grills. One is a custom made BBQ cooker by Klose Manufacturing of Houston, TX (www.bbqpits.com), and a Weber Genesis Silver C gas grill. The Weber Kettle is fine for most, particularly if you like the flavor's imparted by charcoal (hardwood charcoal is best; the nasty stuff you find in the grocery store leaves too many off flavors). You can still achieve smoke with a gas grill, however. Boxes are available at places like Home Depot for this purpose; however, I use the simple method. Put some wood chips (pre soaked, of course) in a foil packet, and place it on top of the burners. It will smoke nicely and give you some of that smoke flavor, though it won't be like hardwood charcoal (Propane and natural gas burns a lot "wetter" than does hardwood charcoal, and hence does not impart the same flavors to food).

My BBQ cooker, on the other hand, is purpose built for the job. It is completely welded, and constructed of 1/4" cold rolled steel. There are no bolts on it at all, and has adjustable smoke stack and vent controls, as well as a pull out ash tray and brass drain plug. I make ribs, briskets, chickens, etc. in it, and it's just awesome. It weighs about 600 lbs and it took five people just to get it off the back of my truck when I bought it. For real BBQ, it's absolutely perfect. Plus I can grill in the firebox if I choose.

My advice? Go to BBQ's Galore (www.bbqgalore.com) and check out their selection. They've got everything from a cheap Smoky Joe to a $10K job.

And remember, when in doubt ... cook. :smug:

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    +1

Love the flavor and taste of charcoal grilled flesh (and vegetables for that matter) but I can be eating by using a gas grill in about the same time it takes to prep a charcoal setup.

In other words:

Gigging = charcoal.

Practice = gas.

Sure, it's a compromise but sometimes that's o.k.

:D

Joe.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Easier, yes. Better? Nothing beats charcoal. It's like, a scientific fact or something.

Man, I need to get some camping in here this summer. I've not been out in the middle of screw all here for a year or so. I need to go dissapear into ze woods for a week.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you are going to use gas, you might as well use the oven.

8. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    No WAY!

But spoken like a true BBQ snob. My hair is off to you.

Joe.

9. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    The best charcoal is the wood charcoal, it flavors the meat in a much better way than charcoal imo.

10. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    And BBQ snobbery goes up a notch.

+1

Joe.

11. I'm not sure... We used to use a Webber charcoil grill, but I wasn't too fond of it. My dad bought a nice gas grill though and the burgers have been great. We havn't touched the charcoal since; I think it's rusting in the shed.

12. I use gas (because its all we have) and it's usually easier for just normal dinners and stuff, but we do our big BBQ atleast once a week (my friends and I) and I wouldn't mind get a charcoal for that.

13. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Charcoal tastes best, but is not practical when you grill 3-4 times a week like I do. :cool: Also, it is harder to control the temperature for finer grilling. This works great for me.

[​IMG]

I cook whole turkeys, all kinds of meat, seafood and veggies on this baby. All year round.

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    gas for me, i don't care what jeff says! :D

;)

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  16. I prefer the taste of real charcoal. The Kingsford stuff is OK, but gas is so much easier. Come to think of it, I think our charcoal Weber is in the garage... Maybe we should take the time to grill out a bit more "right."

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    There's a reason the expression is "now you're cooking with gas" and not "now you're cooking with charcoal".

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Neither... wood is better... so much better... just wood... nothing else

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    True dat...honestly I don't think there's a difference in taste between gas and normal charcoal but straight wood coals definitely adds some great taste. Wood chips added to charcoal is good too.

brad cook

20. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I use an expensive installation charcoal grill in Long Island and a Viking gas grill in New Jersey for convenience.