1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Outdoor Rig: Charcoal or Gas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Foreman Grill. 2 burger size costs like $13. Gets itself ready in a few seconds, cooks in a few minutes, cleans in probably under a minute. Also, fat runs off, for lean George-Foreman-esque physique.

2. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Oooohhh yeah those are hot. I used to use those before the Viking. I have a bunch of Foreman grills and Foreman grill related products.

3. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Charcoal, of course.. :cool:

I have a tiny little charcoal grill I got on a whim at Kroger a few years ago, and I LOVE it. It's getting to be time (plus I'll finally have the space) to upgrade to one of the bigger Weber models.

I grill about 2-3 times/week, and I just can't bring myself to use gas. My parents used it, and compared to coal grilled food, gas grilled stuff tastes sort of blend to me now. I want to try to hardwood charcoal one of these days. Where can I find it?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I prefer charcoal, but we're using gas now. I work at a hardware store that has a NOS 2003 Weber One Touch Silver 22.5 that I may pick up for $75.00.

5. Hank Hill uses gas, therefore.... propane, accessories, and beer are the right thing to do. Yyyup.

Charcoal? Do you still commute in a covered wagon drawn by equine? Does your phone have a rotary dial on it?

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's the kind we have, too. Before I assembled it I gave it an extra coat of black barbecue-type heat resistant paint, and it's lasted for many years without rusting out like past ones.

The advantage with charcoal, though, is that you can see when you're low on charcoal. ;)

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Modern Weber's have suspended 20 pound propane tanks that show how much is left. ;)

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Ah well, you can see by the photo that this particular model uses the non-refillable 14.1- or 16.2-oz. cylinders! ;)

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Gotsta have charcoal!

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Agreed, I personally like a mixed bag: a log or two chopped over a bottom layer of charcoal. Pile up, light and let burn down into nice glowing ember - nice and even heat without lighter fluid aromas :spit:

Mm..

11. Charcoal (preffered) at the cabin, gass (easier) at home.

Wesley R.

12. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    charcoal, fool

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    They sell mesquite chips that you can wet then put on your lava rocks for better taste with gas grilles. They really do make for a tasty experience and last for many cooking sessions.

Charcoal is best, but gas is more convenient and much more environmentally friendly.