Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Ovation Magnum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    http://www.muc.de/~hm/music/Guitars/ovation-magnum-B4194/

That's the bass. Paul D'amour played one in Tool on the first albums. I know a guy who might be selling it, and it will probably pretty cheap, and I was wondering if I should pick it up? I know that's a stupid question, but does anyone have it or have any experience with it?

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I love Magnum I's and always have at least one laying around. Current market value on a clean one is about $500 US

3. thump326

thump326

Apr 30, 2004
    thats looks like something i should hate, but i cant stop staring at it...lustfully

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    My current Magnum I

[​IMG]

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    My former Magnum II

[​IMG]

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    What tone would you compare it to?

The bass body looks like a Rickenbacker mating with an SG to me.

7. Id say more like a Jazz bass and an EB mutated by radiation and looked at through one of those Circus Mirrors. :D

I love the way the Magnum I and II look, The Magnum III sort of looks like the predecesser to the MM Bongo, Which is not a good thing. Ive heard people say you can get a Jazz bass growl out of this thing. Ive also heard a guy call the tone of it "A raspy growl". Id really like to have one though, Its A bass that I think is ugly and sexy at the same time.

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I pretty much solo the neck pickup and use flats on mine so they're pretty thumpy but they can get pretty growly using both pickups and playing back by the bridge.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Can you get a Rickenbacker like crunchy Paul D'amour/Chris Squire sound?

10. Whats the neck profile, Jazz, P, Or inbetween?

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    That thing is the only bass that is uglier than my Corvette. (in a good way, if that's possible)

I'd love to own one.

12. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    when i first started playing bass, my local music store had one of those for $179 i think they are a lot better looking in person...

oh, and abark, who's gonna arrest me? the frickin trees? my personal fav athf...

13. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Dude! (that's an exclamation, not your handle...I'm playing like I'm 16) is that a mute built into the bridge? I never looked closely at one of these.

14. Proud owner of this ovation magnum II

[​IMG]

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Cut him open, count his rings.

Whoa, Whoa. Don't take it too high; how am I going to inject the cheese. That cheddar or pepper jack? Both, and there is pork in there to. How do you think she died? Natural causes, nope. Submerge.

16. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Yes you can deffintaly make an ovation sound like a ric and really good one to IMO.Mine is the Ovation IV wtih 18 volt pre amp.The bridge is very clean,punchy and articulate.But it is also the most deepest and thumpiest bass I ever played. I can mimick the bass tone on hush with it.

17. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I don't have a magnum, but I have a deacon guit*r. :D

She's a beaut. Great to play! Ovation's 70's solidbodies were definately out there... but definately cool!

Attached Files:

18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Would a Magnum owner out there kindly post some sound clips? :)

I'd like to hear what they sound like.

19. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Magnum owners must unite now ;) And the sounds are like nothing else you've heard. I dont know how to describe it. Adjusting the gain under each string on the quad coil neck PUP really does something to the sound - its bizarre

The Mag 3 is much nicer to look at...

[​IMG]

20. Thats because Paul used a Magnum on the whole Opiate album.