1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The P! 70 Years And Still Going Strong

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark76, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    That's right. this year marks the end of seven decades since the iconic four stringed bottom shaker first debuted in US music shops. :bassist::bassist::hyper::hyper:

Will Fender be marking the occasion? If so, how?

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    a vintage Fender P Bass is like a Shelby Cobra, even a copy done RIGHT is a mean machine.

3. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    im more excited for the 71st Anniversary...thats when they will release something killer to mark the occasion

Clank Plank and 31HZ like this.
  4. y'all gonna have your minds blown at the 73rd anniversary. I'm not saying how exactly but you'll be able to buy P's that look and sound as close as possible as P's from the past. No longer will we be stuck with radical new designs every year!

5. My guess is they will resurrect a color they haven't done in a few years, add a Special Edition string retainer and neck plate, tack on $300 and call it the Anniversary edition. Maybe a new adjective in front of something in the description to set it apart. :D.

J_Bass and athfngl like this.
  6. WillyWonka

WillyWonka I "heart" pointy headstocks Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    70 years...

please.gif

Clank Plank, P. Aaron, JRA and 9 others like this.
  7. allanmac00

allanmac00 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Works for me!

5655597A-4308-4FBF-B6EE-5F07DA575AD3.jpeg

8. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    By making generic Precisions.

E.g. for the Fender 75th Anniversary, we have...

75th Anniversary MIM. 50s style pickups and, uh, a commemorative neck plate.
    75th Anniversary Precision Bass® | Electric Basses

75th Anniversary MIA. '62 pickups, '63 neck, gold hardware.
    75th Anniversary Commemorative Precision Bass® | Electric Basses

Yawn

John Stephen likes this.
  9. John Stephen

John Stephen Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Agreed. I'm not a Fender lover or hater. But I see Fender special edition something-or-others every year at Guitar Center.

GravyGoodness likes this.
  10. Mikey F

Mikey F Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Hopefully it’s a 4 string sun burst with flats! That would be mind blowing

11. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Synth output and robot tuners?

12. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I just want the 70th anniversary issue foam mute for the basses I already own.

13. LFE LIFE

LFE LIFE

Mar 2, 2019
  14. Yeah I don't see why Fender can't make something for everyone. I mean, they keep trying to be the world's music gear nanny, but somehow there's still some kids out there who aren't happy yet.

C'mon Fender...whiskey tango! Here we are now....so entertain us you thoughtless bastards!

15. Nope. Not good enough. Mind not blown. Insert coin for replay.

mikewalker and Dr Zee like this.
  16. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Because they keep making the same cookie cutter models as they have for decades. Yawn. If I wanted one, why buy new when there are a bajillion secondhand and a heap of smaller manufacturers that make FSOs however you want, at a cost premium.

EdO. likes this.
  17. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, they can't do anything that won't be disappointing/uninteresting to me, unless they just announce a line of vintage spec reissue instruments at affordable prices (which they've already done with the MiM Vinteras I guess). They're in an unenviable bind, to be honest. It's a fine line to walk staying true to the original spirit of Leo's iconic designs while still projecting an image of moving forward in some way.

18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    They could do a Lexus/Infiniti if they wanted to.

19. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I don't know who "they" are or what they "want." And I don't think "they" do either! :roflmao: At least that's what the evidence suggests. If they wanted to do a high end line, it's a relatively small market currently dominated by a handful of boutique heavyweights. From a business perspective, they're probably wise to stick with their unassailable position in the mass market selling predictably iconic instruments. Not exciting, but seems like a tried and true business model.

mexicant likes this.
  20. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    ^^ I didn't mean necessarily an upmarket line, though they have the branding to make that happen if they wanted to, but a separate line that was more modern and less like the stuff they've been pooping out for decades.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 10, 2021