1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The P-Bass sound in my head is in the strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fun Size Nick, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Here’s the story...I just acquired a nice little P-Bass after not having one for a few years. I put a 1-year old set of TI flats on it and plugged in. Sounded great! But not quite as ‘P-Bassy’ as I had thought it might. So I plugged in my Jazz, which has a 4-5 year old set of the same strings on it, and has been played more heavily than the 1-year old set. Lo and behold, when favouring the neck pickup, it sounded more like the P-Bass sound in my head than the P did! The low-midrangey thump, the high-mid honk when I dig in, the quick decay...all of that was in those nicely aged strings.

I’m waiting on a set of La Bella 760FMs for the P which should set things to rights :laugh:

2. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Good call...LaBellas on a P is THE sound we've heard on countless recordings. If you don't feel like fighting the strings so much, the 760FL set will get you the same sound with much less effort.

TC.65 likes this.