"The Pacific," my thoughts, feelings and considerations you should take.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Holy War, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    I originally had a very long, typed out message about my personal thoughts and opinions on this program, but I decided against posting it for the time being. Instead, Ill just leave you with this:

Whether you have the slightest inclination to view this program, or are just a very fascinated new comer to the history of WWII, then by all means, watch and enjoy, "The Pacific." I only urge you to keep in mind, that what is being portrayed, is just a Hollywood rendetion of actual events based on interviews, a book of one man's experiences, and historical research. It is by no means, a 100% accurate rendetion of what took place in the Pacific Theather during WWII. Also, keep in mind, that you just can not capture the experiences, or fathom what took place at a battle like Okinawa in a one hour time spot on HBO, it will just never happen.

What Im trying to say is, watch, "The Pacific," enjoy it, learn from it, and share openly your thoughts and views on it. But if it is something that grows on you, and it truely captures your attention and interests, then do research on the events that are going to be portrayed on HBO for the coming weeks. No one, I repeat, no one, will ever be able to relate to what those men experienced on those islands during the war, but it is very much possible for you to educate yourself further than what a 10 hour Hollywood production could ever tell you. Dont take what is going to be portrayed as actual truth (though some of it will be very accurate and telling), but take it as a re-telling of the sacrifices and hardships that our (American) servicemen endured during that time period.

War is not glorious, war is not heroic, war is hell.

Semper Fidelis

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    If it's as well done as "Band of Brothers" was, I'll be watching. Don't worry, I understand that it's not a documentary.

Absolutely.

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I just did the same thing - had a big long response typed up, but I just decided to say that I could not agree with you more.
    I'll just leave this here for now : +1

4. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

I agree with your comments. I doubt that even Hollywood could convey the horrors that soldiers on both sides of the line faced on a daily basis. Thought it was a good start to the series.

Two parts that I thought were cool -

1) the father who was more concerned about his car needing a new axle then the fact that his son was going off to war.

2) the Japanese soldier who basically walked out into a suicide firing squad after he and his soldiers couldn't out flank the American soldiers. It was like he couldn't stand the thought that they had failed to break through. At least that was my take on it.

5. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    I didnt watch it. Dont know if I ever will.

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I think that war movies in general, tread on some really delicate ground. On one hand, if you portrayed it (or tried to that is) as it really and truly is, I think that you would probably have one of the most disturbing, graphic and upsetting movies ever made. On the flip side if you go full "hollywood" and make it this goofy glorification, it's almost an insult to those who have been through it. So I think that a lot of movie-makers aim for the center ground and you're left with stuff like Band of Brothers or this newest one.

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Wait...all this, and you aren't even going to watch it? :meh:

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oh, I get it--the OP is taking a "principled stand" against the show, out of some sort of covetous pride in "owning an authentic experience". Whatever dude, people watch TV all day and all night, and 99.999999% of what they see is fake or at least embellished considerably. If some meth-head, Idaho survivalist, or beery jock happens to watch the show and decide that war is great, then there's not much to be done about that.

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I saw Band of Brothers and liked it a lot. My grandfather probably would have rolled over in his grave (he also served in the 101st 506th as well but in Able company as a machine gunner) if he saw it. I remember watching Saving Private Ryan with him when I was little and he got pretty upset. He did comment saying that it was realistic insofar as that the tanks were sqweaky. That was about as much as I heard him say about it. The fact that he was a chronic alcoholic (wouldn't be uncommon for him to polish off more than a bottle of whiskey everyday) said more about it.

10. Obviously anything is possible, but I certainly didn't pull the "covetous pride" borne of "an authentic expereince" from his post.

I've had life experiences that I have no inclination whatsoever to relive either through a fully accurate documentary, a completely stylized hollywood rendition or anything in between. I could also see myself cautioning people about a show that I felt might be taken too literally.

The former and the latter aren't necessarily related in the way you describe.

Mike

11. Perhaps the OP is a vet that doesn't want to see any more war - even on TV. And/or, perhaps Tom Hanks said some real dumb ---- in his press tour about WWII in the Pacific.

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Also for what its worth, I don't own a TV but I'd watch it if I did. Does anyone know if you can view the episodes online?

13. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    But it is holy?

14. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Really? Don't go there. I really don't know what your problem is and I don't care, but don't take this thread downhill just because you think your opinion is so much more significant than everybody else's.

15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    +1
    Yeah, entirely not necessary. This could be a great thread without that sorta thing.

16. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I thought it was a joke since the OP is Holy War.

Get it? Har har...

17. No.

Mike

18. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Yeah. I think that was a joke that sailed over some heads.

19. Is that the one where we fought the Chinese?

20. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm surprised it sailed over Mike's since its so big.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021