Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The pain of band practice in urbania...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I tell you, finding a place to practice in the city is harder than Chinese algebra.

For two weeks I've been scouting warehouses/storage places, industrial spaces, artist studios, comminuty centers, just about any and every place that allows (or might allow) bands to practice without pissing off everyone in a two block radius.

It's a shame, really. In the greater Portland area (PDX, Gresham, Trout Lake, Beaverton, et al), there is only one place that deals with musicians, and that's the hourly bit where you gotta schedual a week in advance, at least. So few places are even willing to take on a band (where other bands get their places, I dunno), and those that are are generally filled. Studios generally are for artists only, not musicians.

I have the Portland Yellow Pages, and I litterally called every single place... maybe 50 or more, and not one was suitable. Typically a lack of heating and power, among other things. In Florida, heating is not so much an issue, but here where there's weather, it matters. The only option aside from that is industial space which can run upwards of $375 a month.

How's a guy supposed to be able to rock when there's no place to practice rocking? I wish there were more practice studios around, and not the kind that are schedueld for $20.00 an hour by appointment and random chance only. Like monthly rentable places.

I lucked out, and managed to get into a garage of a guy who has not only the building manager but the buisness manager in his pocket, so I get to practice in a garage 5 minutes away without hassle. The cost is that I lend my bassing to the guy's NIN/Trip Hop project.

But how often are people gonna luck into a situation like that?

I'm seriously thinking about starting up a buisness in the future that is just that: practice space with monthly rent. I think I could start a chain of them, given the muscian count in any given metropolitan area. Might actually make some money, given the utter lack of spaces like that.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Community.

I can spell, it's just that this damned keyboard gets in the way. It has a mind of it's own, I tell you.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hehe...those silly college kids.
    Sounds like you got pretty lucky, Brendan. And about that business idea, a friend of mine and his partners is talking to banks and investors about that right now. He's looking at an old sports store that would be large enough that he will have several practice studios, small recording facility above that, and the other side will be an indoor skate park/shop. They're hoping to run it at two seperate entities - music side and skate side - but I think right now, with the investors they are talking to, they're looking at having it all as one business.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    wEl u tok guder butt i has a betur remembury!!!