1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Painful Experience in the Guitar Shop

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Jun 3, 2005.

1. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Guitar store are a good place to pick up chicks. Usually I find one sitting around the bass amps, plucking on some pink Fender. Hehe... Alright!... :smug:

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I believe American Idol has answered that question :)

3. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    Very true. There has not been one good contestant to come from American Idol IMO.That includes the winners.

4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Oh I wasn't thinking of them, in fact I like alot of the people who made it to atleast the final few. I just meant the people who try out who can't sing worth a dang and insist they are superstars, to the point of crying, getting mad and arguing :)

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Oh man, have you read any of the posts I've made about auditioning singers?

MOST singers suck. But ALL singers think they are awesome. It's a rule. It's a law of nature, like gravity. We auditioned around four dozen singers and two were better than me. I'm about good enough to sing backup. The vast majority were not even up to my level, but they ALL thought they were star material, right then.

It's not a big stretch to figure many new bass wankers also think they are better than Geddy after a week of playing. I am definitely not the player I was when I practiced really seriously, but I can't count the times I encountered noobs at GC who honestly believed they were better than I ever was when they just totally stunk up the place.

And it's amazing how not one of them nknows how to turn an amp down.

6. Absolutely, but out of respect, always ASK someone that works at the shop if you can, and definitely limit it to about 5 minutes. Also, be understanding that you aren't the only customer there, and that phone calls are important to the store, so when the phone rings, TURN DOWN.

As a former salesgeek, I can tell you that being respectful of these things will get you far better service and treatment (not to mention more of an inclination from the sales guy to give you a better deal) than trying to impress them with your chops (we don't CARE) with the amp cranked to 11. I'd rather have lost a sale that put up with an overly loud wanker (and numerous times, we DID run people out).

7. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I dont understand American I dle in the sense that whene I see small locall performances in my area and in NYC at small venues and stuff some of these people have amazing voices and are realy great to listen to. Then when I think abot how American Idle has Millions of people trying out and IMMO none of them are that great even the finalists , it really says something about the type of people that try out for American Idle , and that they must have a completely different mindset than many of the great singers out there who dont bother to try out.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ya, but Carrie Underwood is HOT! :)

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    True, but Bo is hotter :p

10. I really hate to further hijack this thread and take it further off topic but I can't agree with you more. Even from the responds you got. "yea, but she's hot" I know he's joking but this is the mind set of most people who buy their crap. I am sure we all remember someone who got caught lip syncing back a few months and "yea but she's hot" was the consensus. Unfortunately with pop music, image far out weighs talent.

When it comes to pop music in the industry today, record companies are less interested in the actual talent they are trying to sell (a vocalist) and are more interested in something they can sell. American Idle is the epitome of this, the show it's self is a farce. It's a pity because there is a lot of talent out there that we will never Hear (not see)

So with today's mind set, who do think would win American Idle "if" Aretha Franklin or Janis Joplin was just starting out and wound up on the show.

Aretha or Janis vs. Carrie?

11. Cretin: "Hey look guitar store customers and employees I can play 6 bars of 'Tom Sawyer'!

Anonymous customer/employee: "Can you play the entire song?"

Cretin: " :bawl: "

12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    last time I went to the guitar store was when I bought my guitar. That was months ago:'(

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    EU
    I know the thing between kiddies and Line6's.

Last time I went to a certain music shop in my home town, there were couple of typical nu/heavy metal kiddies in their beanies, band shirts et al, one of them wanking a Jackson through a Line6, the same torturing lick for minutes.

Once the kid stopped for a moment, the older sales guy - not my favourite but has his moments - calls out to him, "Hey man, you know, those Line6 amps are really cool! Tried the headphones out yet? Here ya go!" :D

Two minutes later, the kiddies were gone .. to the next shop I visited.. :p

14. I had some friends who auditioned for Aussie Idol (yup, no different to the US version :rolleyes: )

They were decent singers. Out of thousands who audtitioned, all three were chosen to go through to the "next round". None of these early auditions featured the TV show judges.

All three of my friends were rejected in the second round. Why?

Well, its television. The ones who get through to the actual TV show have to be one of three things:

Exceptionally bad
    Exceptionally good
    Exceptionally attractive

My friends are all good singers - they can carry a tune without needing a bucket, but not million seller pop stars. oh, well, thats the industry these days. More and more, I find myself buying independantly released music - its just not as manufactured.