Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The palm mute?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RiseOfTheWooten, Jan 15, 2006.

1. I'm trying to practice the palm mute as taught by Gary Willis on his website:

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/lessons/mutelesson.html

But I'm having trouble playing the strings sideways that way, especially with the thumb involved. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right either.

Does anyone have any practice tips? Is there another way to produce that kind of sound?

2. I mute with my pinky most of the time. You can only mute une string at a time while you play, but with practice you can get comfortable quickly changing strings with the pinky as you play. I find playing this way much more natural than resting your whole palm against the strings.

3. Hi Grueber, I'm having trouble visualising your pinky mute (I've only ever known about the palm mute), can you describe where/how you place it when playing with your index and middle finger? Thanks.

4. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    You can very easily mute more than one string at a time with palm muting.

The thumb stroke is just like you would do with a pick but with your thumb, just practice it with and without muting and you'll get it. Just remember to not mute too hard or you'll knock your intonation off by a few cents.

5. I just stick my pinky out and place it on the string near the bridge. The index and middle finger aren't really affected so you can maintain your speed while muting.