The Passinwind Open Source Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Passinwind, Dec 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Please post a pic of that, in the Luthier forum if not here.

2. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    It should be a very simple build for any tech who's used to doing board level rework. It's kind of like like painting by numbers if you have reasonable soldering skills.

3. Sonicblaze

Sonicblaze Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    What are your thoughts on a bypass switch, for the ability to run both passive or active with this onboard?
    (Not that I've ever done that before, I was just going through a pros/cons of an onboard vs pedal preamp for one of my cheapie basses.)

4. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    I really have no idea how well this design will work with cheap basses, but I hope to start testing that soon. Most people prefer to have a bypass switch, and the usual configs for that should all work fine. My amps are optimized for active basses, so I haven't actually bothered to wire up bypasses in either one of my basses.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  5. Ok per request, again this is the Passinwind PW3B-DLX pre.
    Also I added a bit of nice verb to it. Other than that DI, no compression or EQ.
    Mini switch for mid freq. not in play currently, so far I like where the mid is set.

And Kirk, the bass was indeed made by Dirk. :)

I'll have to take pictures again sometime to show the transformation, I was amazed I was able to get 1lb. off it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  6. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Update: links in my first post are now live. The Wiki has already received quite a few page views, so I'll keep grinding on the placeholder pages as time allows.

Before I put the PCB up in the OSHpark share area I need to do a test build strictly off the project documentation, not just by memory. If that checks out OK I will be ready to go live with the board share too, although I may hold off on that until after NAMM just for my own peace of mind. Yel_wink.gif

BTW, although I'm now classified as a Commercial User here, I'm still not really contemplating producing and selling hardware at this time. But never say never, I guess!

Marial likes this.
  7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

No good deed goes unpunished. ;) (Kidding btw!)

Marial and Passinwind like this.
  8. Maybe you should! BTW love the preamp idea and way it looks like it works- I know when I was thinking of building something for a bass build I was doing there's very little out there that's open source and not a clone of something.

BTW I added metric measurements of the board on the wiki for those of us outwith the USA who don't understand inches! :)

Marial and Passinwind like this.
  9. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    ...now I just need a bass to put this in...

10. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Yeah, buddy. I put my first build in a stompbox just to hedge my bets a bit. Then I did a "temp" install in my Travis Bean with the second one, which has somehow ended up staying there for a couple of months. Or_wink.gif

Marial likes this.
  11. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    As always excellence from Passinwind!

Marial likes this.
  12. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I was thinking the same thing, put it in a box. Do you think it has enough output to drive a power amp directly?

If I don't put it in a box, then I need to bust out the router and put it in my beloved SX, just need ti route a battery box.

Marial likes this.
  13. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Nope, the design is optimized for low gain to ensure max stability. I'd recommend adding a good line driver stage for your application.

rufus.K likes this.
  14. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Low gain, eh? Should play well with pedals then?

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Nice!

16. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Yep, but of course that'd depend on how hard you crank the EQ too. My test box actually plays pretty well with active basses too, and would probably be even better if I configured it at unity gain.

Marial likes this.
  17. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Hmmm..... I'm definitely looking forward to chatting with you more after the NAMM madness subsides.

18. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    So I did that test build today, and found two interposed parts reference numbers, which was a bit annoying at this late stage. I also used IC sockets on this build, which I usually don't bother with for onboard preamps. Glad I did that, because one component that was bugging me for other reasons anyway turned out to be a Class B fit if sockets are in place. That was all for the best since it coerced me into taking another hard look at my layout to see if I could maybe clean things up a bit more. My last few attempts at that always came up a bit short, but I often find that leaving a design alone for a while and then coming back to it works wonders. Took a few hours this time, but the new layout looks a lot nicer and the board size stayed exactly the same.

Marial, nshuman and ctmullins like this.
  19. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Bravo

20. Do you know 'anal retentive' is hyphenated when modifying a noun?

Seriously, Charlie, great work.

40Hz, Passinwind and Marial like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021