Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Passion

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Anyone seen it yet? Im goin to see it next weekend, i heard that any man would walk out broke down( :crying: ). As for Mel, I'm on his side...

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'll leave this one open for the time being, but I'll close it any second it gets nasty. For the record, I don't intend to see it.

3. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I saw it. I thought it was a very powerful movie. What love, that Jesus would go through all of that just so we can have a relationship! That's what makes it powerful to me.

4. :) oh ya, i heard that the guy who played Jesus got pnemonia while playing the part when he was on the cross

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've seen it. It's EASILY the must brutal movie I've EVER seen. It's a little frustrating to me, because I know some parents whince at letting thier kids see Freddy v Jason, or something along those lines,,, yet, they rushed out & MADE thier kids see The Passion...

Folks, I am NOT playing this up. It REALLY IS, THE most brutal movie I've ever seen & I'm a war movie junkie.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah...brutal is a good description of it, all the violence in it is just that...brutal.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I thought it was an exceptionally poor film. I have a review in the Lounge thread.

8. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    I would not recommend that any kids watch this movie. It is rated R for good reason. I don't feel that it glorifies the violence like other movies do, by that I mean that the violence is always portrayed as being "wrong" as opposed to "cool".

9. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I'd have a diffrent opinion on the quality of the film...
    Caleb Dechenel (sp) did an exceptional job as cinematographer... I think it takes incredible skill as film maker to craft a film that grabs hold of the audiance and doesn't let go the way this movie does.

is it brutal? Yes. but not as brutal as I *Thought* it would be.

was it perfect... no... I disliked that the subtitles were not applied to the Roman soldiers during the scouraging scene...

overall, I don't think I've been as moved by a film. ever.

10. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I really loved it and I'm by nature not a religous person at all. I think if you see it and your not religious you'll at least walk away from it seeking to be kinder to those around you. At the very least you can walk away thinking that Jesus was one tough guy who's faith and belief's meant more to him than fear of death. Very admirable in my opinion.;)

11. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    I've heard that Mel Gibson has shown this film without subtitles at all and it worked. He put some of them in for those who were not as familiar with the story. I heard him say this in an interview on Focus On The Family radio.

I don't think the story lacks anything from the subtitles not being there, but it would be neat to know what they're saying.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I want to see it, my wife does not. So I'm gonna have to do it without her. :bawl:

13. The guy who plays jesus has roots in my area. Both his parents went to highschool around here. I am not going to see it, however.

14. I saw the movie. I thought I might not at first, not because I thought I might disagree, but because I had acted in numerous Easter productions or Passions in the past. Most times, I did play the role of Jesus. I always put a lot of myself into any role I was portraying, trying to assume the characteristics of my part, in this case, Jesus. Playing the role of Jesus always was very emotional for me and I thought the movie would bring all that back. It sort of did, but not tramatically. I did walk away from the movie theater quite somber and deep in thought. But then, most other patrons did so too. Because of the acting work I have done, I was already aware of what Jesus went through and was prepared for what I saw. The whipping scenes and the crucifixion were quite graphic, but I think Mel Gibson was trying to be historically accurate. I don't believe he did this for entertainment or shock value for entertainment sake. If there was any shock intended, I believe it was layed on Mr. Gibson's heart to convey to the world what one person, Jesus Christ, went through for our eternity.

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I thought it was a pretty good movie. I think that its probably the most accurate depiction of the way he was beaten and crusified.

16. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Something that has bothered me in retrospect was how a lot of people have called this movie anti-semetic which I for one can't see at all. Mel Gibson, I honestly can't see being a bigot. He's simply telling a story that is deeply important to him as accurately as possible. I don't see the Jew's in this movie as representing people of Jewish faith everywhere for all time just as I don't see the Germans in Schindlers List as representing Germans everywhere for all time. Every story has its protagonist and this one was no different. After all when it comes down to it, in this story the Jews represented are also the "heroes" (Jesus and his followers were of Jewish decent also, right?).

17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The movie made me physically ill. I held my sweater over my eyes and tried to cover my ears up so as not to hear, but movies are so loud thanks to modern technology, I couldn't drown out the terrible sounds of torture.

My husband, a Catholic, who was an alter boy much of his young life, did not get ill and did not cover his eyes, etc. We talked about the dramatic difference in our reactions and he says years of doing the Stations of the Cross during which one imagines much of what actually transpires in this movie made him "used to" what would happen.

I guess I have to accept this explanation, but somehow it doesn't quite satisfy me. His brother also reacted like my husband did, while my sister-in-law reacted like I did with shock, dismay and feeling ill. Maybe it is a "guy thing" to stand up better to the movie. But that may not be a fair assessment either. One thing for sure, I don't think one's reaction to the movie is a guage of how religious one is.

For me the movie was a grueling, brutal, horrifying experience. My husband says I had to know it was the crucifiction, but I reply, while I know that, I never had any desire to witness it or any other torture of humans or animals either.

One thing is darned sure, I think it is utterly wrong to take a child to this movie as it will cause them extreme duress and haunt them a long time. I'd say no one under fourteen or fifteen should go. I'm not sure I could have stood at at fifteen.

18. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    It's definatly not an easy movie. I don't even think it's the violence itself that makes it difficult for me to watch. It's the lack of compassion and humanity Jesus' captors expressed. It sickens me that people can torture someone like that and feel joy or satisfaction.
    I honestly don't think any set of religious ideals can justify hatred towards another human.

You know what's a better movie? Dogma

19. kindablue

kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    For all the people who are shocked by the violence,it's like c'mon people,it's a roman crucifiction.Mel didn't candy coat it
    to fit the under 12 crowd,he portrayed it the way he gleaned from the gospels.the film is violent because the event itself was indeed violent.

20. it was brutal, more than i expected, but realistic. i'll never forget walking into the theatre there was a sign above the door that said " EXTREME VIOLENCE 18+" and it couldnt be any more true. i liked the movie, it was so powerful to everyone there. you could have heard a pin drop at the end, and not a dry eye in the house. What surprised me was how the nails in his hands were as bad as i expected it to be, untill they dislocated his shoulder. that was simply gruesome.
    As far as anti-semetic, its not really, and the movie even says love everyone EQUALLY when they're at the last supper.
    What really surprised me, was the movie seemed to have a very secular idea about government. Both the Romans and king Hadad(sp?) wanted nothing to do with letting the Jewish leaders requests to kill Jesus, and only did so after they begged to, and were given the choice to let a convicted murderer free to execute Jesus.