The Pat Metheny Group

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by beermonkey, Mar 18, 2002.

1. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    So, I had this religious experience last night... I went and saw the Pat Metheny group here in Seattle and it was completely and utterly bad ass. And so, there was this cat who was playing with him who I was not hip to, Richard Bona. He initially was playing percussion, some guitar, singing, etc. It wasn't until about 2/3 of the way through the show (which was almost 3 hours btw) that I was completely and utterly blown away. The rest of the band left the stage, leaving just Metheny, Bona, and the drummer Antonio Sanchez. Bona came down front and picked up a fretless electric bass and they proceeded to burn the song "Bright Size Life" to the ground. Man. Bona is amazing. He only took one more bass solo during the evening, and that was during the last encore... but wow. I just bought a few of his cds from and I'm guessing that I probably won't be dissapointed.

If you get the opportunity, I would highly suggest checking out this tour.

2. Good to hear! I will be seeing the PMG April 12th in NYC ... I saw his last PMG tour, and his trio tour, and I am sure this will be just as great!
  3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    As we "speak" PMG is working it's way down here to the Universal Amphitheatre in LA- When I saw the ads listing Richard Bona as (PC) - percussion?!?
    I was wazzupwidat?seeing as I had heard his work
    on bass/vocals previously.
    He is being touted as the next Jaco, etc.
    Leave it to PMG to include him in as an "ancillary"
    member, with Rody on bass. I wonder how that came about.

Metheny does a solo on an album by Michael Breckler, called, ummm "Michael Brecker" with
    Charlie Haden & Jack DeJohnette.
    It is off the boards-----
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Richard Bona's solo C.D.'s are great, but they are not solo bass C.D.'s......more world beat. If you want to hear a smokin fusion album with him on it, check out Larry Coryell's Spaces Revisted....Richard smokes some fretless on that one:)
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Few years back-
    Bass Player mag dubbed Bona as "The African Jaco".
    I haven't picked up either of Bona's 'solo' discs; he's also on the newest MIke Stern album(which I'm pretty sure I won't be picking up, either. That's a first for me as I usually pick up anything with Stern).
    I do have Bona on a LIVE set with Joe Zawinul; pretty happenin' disc(Victor Bailey also makes an appearance; Paco Seary from the French Fusion band, Sixun, is on cans).

I do have Coryell's original Spaces album with McLaughlin, Vitous, Corea, & Cobham(?)...will have to check out the 'sequel'. ;)
  6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I agree! I also have his solo CD 'Reverence.' As mentioned earlier in this thread, it is more world beat than a solo bass disc. However, the CD as a whole is excellent.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wow - I'm even more pleased I booked seats for this. The same group are playing in my home town in May - I have seats in the middle 7 rows back! I thought it would be a criminal waste to have Richard Bona in the group and for him not to play any bass at all!

Pat Metheny is only playing a few gigs in England so I'm really glad he's coming here.
  8. i saw richard bona perform with his group here in albuquerque at the outpost performance space back in october. not only was his playing absolutely beautiful,(and believe me, i am not a big fan of anything fusionesque).his singing, in his native cameroonian tongue,sent chills up my spine.i believe he was plaing a fodera 5 string as well as an older blue pensa-suhr. ididn't purchase any of his cd's but imagine they feature some beautiful playing...
  9. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Oh man, I'm hoping this treat will be consistent throughout the tour. I see them in a couple of weeks in South Carolina. To hear Metheny play BSL with those cats would smoke. That was one of the first jazz tunes I ever learned, and my first exposure to Metheny. Wow....
  10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I knew Pat wouldn't be able to keep Richard's bass playing out of the show...wonder how Rodby feels? I was lucky enough to tag along with Larry Coryell when he did a couple gigs with Richard on bass for his Eleventh House reunion band in Europe. Richard is as great a person as he is a player, and that's sayin' plenty. Unfortunately when the PMG was here a few weeks back, I had a gig and couldn't make it.

BTW, following in the tradition of Metheny/Coryell band-member sharing, Coryell's new trio features two PMG alums...Mark Egan and Paul Wertico.
  11. Oh, you'd better believe it. "Blues for Django and Stephane" has one of the finest bass solos this side of Mr. J.P.
  12. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Y'all got me all depressed.
    Metheny plays here in just a few days and I wanted to go (I've seen him many times, even met him), but when I read that Bona's only on percussion and no bass well I decided to pass (I'm hard up for cash right now).
    Now that you tell me he's playing bass on a couple of tunes, it makes me want to go. I have a friend who may still have an extra ticket, I'll check.
  13. you guys don't even come close to knowing how jealous i am...there is no way he would come to winnipeg...:(
  14. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I splerged and got a ticket for tomorrow night's show.
    I hope Bona does play bass on a song or two. If not, I'm sure it'll still be a great show as Pat's shows always are. I just heard the entire new album on a local Jazz station and I liked it a lot. I don't think Rodby gets as much recognition as he deserves, he's a great player, fits in perfectly with Pat's music. I hope Pat plays his fretless guitar!
  15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Steve is an AWESOME player with a great groove. He epitomizes the phrase "music is the space between the notes". The new album rocks... [/B][/QUOTE]

I also agree! Steve wouldn't be at the almost twenty year point with Metheny if he didn't have that something special called "space". Charlie Haden has it, and he is another favorite of Pats!
  16. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I saw the PMG in Houston this past Saturday. It was a great show -- everything said above and more. I have seen this group 3 or 4 times since 1984. This was the best show that I've seen them play. Loved Antonio Sanchez' drumming.
  17. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I was at the Houston show too.
    Of all the times I've seen Pat Metheny, that was definitely the best one ever.
    If they come to your town, GO SEE THEM!
  18. pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [just bought a few of his cds from and I'm guessing that I probably won't be dissapointed.

It depends on what you're expecting. His solo CD, wasn't really about bass virtuosity. He's a remarkable talent ~ great bassist with a beautiful voice.

I'm still waiting for a chance to see PM.

[he's also on the newest MIke Stern album(which I'm pretty sure I won't be picking up, either.

You should 'Voices' is excellent, IMO.
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings