Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Pat Metheny/Kenny G. "Musical Integrity" Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Holy crap - this is old but it made me laugh out loud.

If you like that, you'll probably like this...

it's designed by Les Claypool I believe

2. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think TB forbids links with written cursewords.

I would listen to that clip, but I'm pretty sure dude is far too British to be that country western.

4. Why does that guy care so much? Holy crap, someone he thinks is garbage is making lots of money. Welcome to reality of personal taste.

5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Country Western?

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Did you listen to the clip?

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Yep. It's fairly run-of-the-mill British folk music.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think the reason Kenny G is so big is so much controversy surrounds him. Sure, he sells a lot of CDs, but every used CDs Jazz stores are filled to the brim with Kenny G CDs that never go anywhere.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Tomat-o, Toma-to.

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Maybe.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if you do a search you'll find that this topic has been done to death a long time ago.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yeah, this is so 2003...

Nice to see you Post, JT. Don't be a stranger!

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Kenny G. is a sello*t (rhymes with mutt) for the almighty dollar. His music is crap. He has no musical soul. He is all about making money. To overdub his crap on a classic such as "What a Wonderful World" is just a cheap ploy to empty people's pockets who dont know better.

I would rather listen to a trash can falling down a very long staircase than listen to his "music".

Pat Metheny, on the other hand, is one of THE best musicians of our time. Innovative, tasteful and extremely talented.

Rant over :rolleyes:

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Offensive? More like pathetic, methinks.

15. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    So, if Kenny G offered any of you guys a gig, would you take it?

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm not good enough to be in Kenny G's band...

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That's kind of like asking someone if they'd want to be an American Idol. Sure, you get exposure and lots of money, but you'll never have credibility again.

IMO, the band "Hedley" is pretty good, but the singer will always be "that guy who was on Canadian Idol." Money? Sure. Good band making good musc? Yep. Credibility in the industry? ...not really.

18. Lots of bands do travesty to lots of songs. Of course that's my opinion because some people must like it if these bands are selling CDs. To get so worked up about music someone else is making just seems a little unbalanced. Lots of people already think the guy is a joke... so who cares.

19. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    How much credibility do you have now?

Lest we forget, there are people out there getting paid to play even worse stuff than Kenny G. Granted, Kenny Gorelick (his actual last name) is no Coltrane, but he did have a career as a studio musician in the 70s/80s and he's a successful artist (even in the loosest of terms) now and a lot of folks, myself included, I admit, would kill to have him on their gig resume.

I think it's commendable that you want to keep your artistic integrity, so to speak, but every person who has the ambition of becoming a pro musician must realize that their cred lies in their ability to play what they're hired to play and that's it.

Who has more cred, Dominique Di Piazza backing John McLaughlin or Lee Sklar backing Phil Collins? Does it really matter?