Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Path Of The Bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TransAntartic, Mar 13, 2006.

1. TransAntartic

TransAntartic

Mar 13, 2006
    Hello, My name is Ravel and one day a feeling came to me that there must be a way to become the bassist i wanted to and so I came to this site in hopes of being to talk to many experienced bassists and learn the way to great bass playing, iam no longer comtempt with my scales, appregios and random note playing (within the scale) improvision. Hopefully the Pros will share thier experience and methods to lend a helping hand to a person who loves the bass. For a background cheak i took classes on theory in hopes that it would help alot nad currently i am in Ap Music theory , not so much as having total control to my bass it pretty much gave me a better understanding of how to analyze music and the skills that's out there , once again thx for reading and please lend me your support , I'm dreaming of going to Music Academy in Burkley in New York

2. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    if you have not done this yet, you need to start developing your ear by transcribing bass lines from records or cd's. there is no better way to practice on your own than playing along with a recording. it is work but it is also fun. you should also try and jam with any musicians that will play with you. this should also be fun. work out with a metronome as well. if you are old enough, go to some clubs and listen and observe some players in action. try to draw a correlation between what you are learning in school and how it relates to the real world of music entertainment. there is more to life than music. sometimes you need to step away from it for a while. you will feel refreshed when you come back to music. your playing, your approach to bass and how you make it fit in to the music you are playing, could and should be a reflection of who you are as a person. imo. peace, jeff

3. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    and one other thing. perhaps you should take lessons from a pro bass teacher. peace, jeff

4. Absolutely what they said! Seems that you're picking up lots of sound theory and technical stuff, but it's time to switch gears and go for the ear training and use some of that technique you're working on. Find the music that inspired you to want to play bass, sit down and play along with it and learn it, live it, love it! I started out the other direction; played with records from my earliest years and learned the theory behind it later. I can read great, now, and pick up lines from others a lot easier since I have the "sound" of the bass in my head from listening, and relaying what I hear to where it is on the neck. Put that together with technique and you've got a musician, not a technician.
    Go for it!!! And good luck! :bassist:

5. speigel

speigel

Aug 5, 2005
    Somerset, UK
    totally agree with the previous two posts, but I'd also like to add that you also need a large helping of Imagination.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    As a quick note, before you head to NYC to find your fame and fortune at the Berklee School of Music...head to their website:

http://www.berklee.edu/

From there, you may find that you'd do better to head to Boston...where Berklee is located.

7. Good luck, that is an admirable goal you have for yourself. Make sure you really enjoy what you are doing. My dad, and a ton of other wise folks have said, "It ain't workin' for a livin' if you enjoy what you do." - So take it from a guy who is definitely workin' for a livin' - if you can make a go of being a bass player (or musician in general) and pay your bills I believe you will be able to smile a pure and genuine smile everyday of your life!

And if you can do that, you can do anything!

--tz