1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Paul Gray ATK, price gouging gone rampant?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkside 88, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Apparantly, black finishes and a Slipknot logo justifies adding $300 to the price tag.

There has to be something I'm missing here, even other Ibanez sig models hove SOMETHING besides aesthtics to justify their existance, electronics and woods the artist prefers, improved bridge and tuners, neck thru or set necks instead of bolt on...something.

2. DeathHands

DeathHands

Apr 10, 2007
    Georgia, ew.
    If I recall correctly, the neck is like shaved down and finished. And the inlays are pretty detailed, if I'm remembering well.

3. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    While the maple/walnut 5 piece neck is a nice touch, it doesn't seem $300 ($400 on music123) nice.

4. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm gonna stop before I steam roll into a rant.

If a fan wants to purchase it, it is certainly their right to do so.

The free market will decide how long this bass sticks around, as it does with everything else.

5. Paul Grey name = $50
    Inlays = $100
    Laminated neck = $150

total = $300

yep, that's about right...

6. DeathHands

DeathHands

Apr 10, 2007
    Georgia, ew.
    Plus the factory BEAD tuning setup. Yeah. It's justified.

7. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    It looks cool and I'm not even remotely a Slipnot fan.

8. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Inactive

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    It may have slightly hotter electronics as well according to Ibanez' description of it. Then again it could be just to hype up the product. Get the ATK 700, it's a nicer bass and as far as the tuning goes thats a minor adjustment.

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    As a lefty, I'm just glad they're offering something nicer than a SR-300.

10. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm actually seriously considering the 305.

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'm not really sure why he has a signature model in the first place. These companies are going a little overboard with this stuff. Ibanez especially. First a Fieldy sig and now this? I thought a signature model was for guys who paid their dues and did something great for the musical community as a whole. Slipknot is a decent band, but the bass playing doesn't jump out to me at all...

Gay

12. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Because the people who listen to Korn and Slipknot are the people who spend lots money trying to define who they are, and Ibanez has no problem separating fools from their gold.

I don't think anyone who listens to either band actually enjoys listening to them.

13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Paul Gray will also be taking a cut of the profits on this bass.

14. Isnt the body wood different?

It doesnt say so on the Ibanez website, but I thought the normal ATKs were Ash and the Slipknot one were Swamp Ash ?

Id personally take an ATK700 or standard 300 over it anyday.

15. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Inactive

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    I have the 305 it's a super bass. Im absolutely in love with it. Good bass, Go For It!
    The string spacing is a little tight 16.5, but I play finger style so I can adjust. If it had 17.5 or 18mm's it would be perfect.

16. Rayle_Trail

Rayle_Trail

Jun 14, 2004
    Brisbane
    Wow, you don't sound judgemental at all about musical tastes that differ from yours... Karma is gonna karate chopzorz you in teh neckz! :p

17. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Just observations from an observer. I've seen people turn around and change their tune (literally) when a genre fizzles out, and hop on the next bandwagon.

Korn and Slipknot were most certainly on the forefront of the "Look at me, and dark and mysterious and dysfunctional and unique, just like all my friends" scene.

This fad seems to have lost steam, giving way to...other...equally vacuous and hollow forms of music...you know.

You know?

Like I said, just observations from an observer.

18. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard! I love slipknot and not because its part of a fad or a phase but for what it is. I also don't include myself as part of that 'phase'. I lesten to Marcus Miller, Miles Davis, Lamb of God, jamiroquai blah blah blah. That doesn't mean that I'm part of any of their 'scenes' or that when other people stop listening to them that I'm gonna start listening to them, jus the same as Slipknot. Grow up.

19. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    Maye eif you two were left in a room together....

zing!

20. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The same room as who?

I'm not dissing Slipkot...I just don't think very much of these companies handing out signature models left and right to no talent hacks is really a good impact on the music community as a whole. It promotes the fact that a lot of musicians are in this for the money...not the music. I don't want my children learing that this is what music is all about.

Endorsements are fine...but handing out a signature model to every Tom, Dick, and Harry is just stupid.

Where's my signature model? Oh...that's right EBMM doesn't have signature basses...I wonder why.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.