Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Paul Reed Smith Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gustat, Jan 22, 2001.

1. gustat

gustat

Apr 11, 2000
    Has anyone taken the Paul Reed Smith Bass out for a test drive, yet? Thoughts and feelings please, if you have.

2. Wow, I can't beleive nobody replied. I'm bringing this thread back to the top because I have the same question. have anybody played or have one of these. (PRS bass)

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Do you mean the hollowbodywith f-holes? For that kind of money, I'm going to custom country.

4. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Haven't played one yet, but they look yummy.

Don't wrap it up, I'll eat it here...

5. rickbass

Thanks, Flea. No, I was referring to the one featured in the newest Bass Player. It lists for something like $3800.

The only complaints I've seen about that PRS is some bitching about the neck being like a telephone pole. But, that's 2nd hand info.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The 4 string goes for around $2900, and the flame top is a $500 option, IIRC.

Or, you could get a Ken Smith, or a Pedulla, or a pre Gibson Tobias, or a Lakland, or a good used USA Spector, or a good used Alembic, etc.

7. Wow! Thats alot of cash. Yeah I think if I was going to spend that kind of cash it would most likely go towards a bass from an all bass company. Basses seem to be more of a PRS side project.

8. Oh,and BTW, thanks for the input guys :D . Ya'll were very prompt. Makes me feel ba for gustat.

9. rickbass

Flea - I agree. It would be nice to see a guitarist NOT using a PRS/Les Paul. Unlike bassists, they seem to have more of a "herd" mentality, IMO.

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
  11. That's a Lakland, not a PRS..

12. rickbass

Duly noted. Good catch, Dave. (Jeez, it's still a rip, IMO).

13. dblbassted

dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    I've played one of the new models (flamed top, two single coils, but no piezos).

For that kind of cash, I was expecting a LOT more. Two passive single coils, decent hardware, fair tone. But, IMHO, a Reverend would eat this bass for lunch (oh wait, mine does). I'd try and grab a mid-70's Fender J and put the rest of the money in the bank. Any more than 1500 for a non-vintage, passive, and only "pretty good" J style bass is just too damn much, even if it does say PRS on the headstock.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    This is a little off topic, but most guitarists I know don't even really try a guitar out before they buy it, they just play it for a few seconds then buy it without taking sound into consideration. There's a few I know that do... It's kind of amusing... And the fact that I've NEVER seen a guitar amp/combo that has a graphic eq but almost all bass amps come with them, except practice amps.

15. Myself and most of my friends that play guitar are of the opinion that less is more in terms of equipment and EQ when it comes to guitar tone.

The guys I know also put far more emphasis on the tone of their guitars than the feel.

To me a guitar can start sounding really cold, sterile, processed, and whatever similar word you want to use, really quickly when you throw too much stuff in between the guitar and the amp (that includes lots of eq).

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I haven't tried one. I also haven't seen one up close and in person. I also have only heard less than stellar things about their sound and feel. I also have a problem with a bass costing as much when it's being marketed by a company I view as a "guitar builder"!

Don't get me wrong, however. Companies like Fender, Gibson, and Ibanez also obviously make guitars. But, do they have full-production runs of basses costing around $3,000? But, it's in the brand image that is also an issue with custom-made-pricing.

17. Yeah RAM, thats exactly what I mean. I realize my earlier statement was mileading, because like you said there are alot of companies that make killer basses and make guitars(some of them being killer as well :D ). But this is the only bass PRS makes and there was a time period where they didn't even make one. $1,000 would have been plenty for this bass but like you said they can charge 3 times that just because it's a PRS.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I can't get past the looks of it. It looks kinda like a Dano to me. When you play like I do, you've GOT to have good-looking equipment. No sir, I don't like it. I don't even want to try one.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I live in PRS country (Maryland). I got to see the first run of the first basses years ago. There's a reason the first line died IMO...they weren't made "for" bass players. It was a bass guitar as opposed to a bass guitar . It apparently caught on with dub players but any bass that's key market is that tiny group is going to be in trouble (and it was).

I still marvel at the "collectibility" of the original basses...they didn't sell so no one bought them so they didn't make many so they're rare so they're worth$$...that's kind of silly. The first line left me absolutely cold, a well built, undesirable bass.

I still haven't seen the new line in the flesh but right off the bat I had a problem with an instrument that could have it's price doubled with options. How can you leave that many $$ out of a base instrument? In this price range you have to kick ass and so far nobody seems to think it does. I reserve final judgement until I try one but it's going to be a real hard task to compete with the Elricks, Sadowskys, MTDs, Zons, Laklands, Lulls, Alembics, Spectors, etc. in the same $$$ range... or less:eek:

I guess for someone interested in an AAAAAAAAA top and willing to part with the $$$ for it, it's cool.

Maybe Carlos will take up the bass now;)