1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Pay to Play Hydra reveals a new head

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 3l3phantstomp, Oct 25, 2013.

1. 3l3phantstomp

3l3phantstomp Doesn't Welcome Our New Overlords

Jun 6, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    My favorite live band right now, Thee Oh Sees, is playing in my state for the first time since I became a fan (four years ago). I've driven from Cincinnati to Altanta three times to see them, and once to Chicago. This tour they are playing in my state so I'm beyond stoked to see them an hour and a half away, got all my buddies going to.

I decided to put a reddit post up on the columbus page because I saw its the only show so far on the tour not sold out! I assumed it was becasue of lack of proper promotion/underground nature of the band, so I fired off a flare.

People began talking about how the Venue has a horrible rap, and not just because Dimebag got shot there (Alrosa). But didnt' get into further detail. I assumed it was just a bad-part-of-town situation. Turns out over the summer or something they had a giant scandal involving a battle of the bands, and bands being forced to pay promoter a large sum of money to progress or even get on the bill. After it blew up and all the trolls got revealed and the scam revealed, and the resulting butthurt, etc, at the end of the day the venue is now blacklisted and folks are convinced I'm somehow in a band opening this Oh Sees gig and am trying to flex my presale...

I had no idea of that history being in the Natti. Oh Sees had no idea booking it as a last minute spot to fill in a gap. But the town and the kids are so burnt a ton of people are going to miss this incredible oldschool rock and roll riot. This is the new head: the still burning embers after defeat.

Even if you EXPOSE the vile underbelly there are still casulaties for a long time. Its like the only way to fix the situation is to bulldoze the whole damn system and create entirely new ones. So many aspects of life like this anymore. End of Rant, apologies. Still stoked for the show tonight, and the legend it will leave behind for those that do go will defeat the situation for they will book a diff spot maybe. Goddamnit. Can't even fly your freak flag anymore without someone assuming you are a figurehead.

2. Yep, that’s what happens. FWIW: Personally, I HATE venues who run "pay to play" scams and also boycott them too.

3. 3l3phantstomp

3l3phantstomp Doesn't Welcome Our New Overlords

Jun 6, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    I feel the same way...except...even if your #1 stunner favorite act, who you spend 1000's of miles going to see, ends up in your backyard at one of those places? Can't the music transcend this new head? We'll see I guess.

4. Nope - unless ownership changes, those boycott's never end!!!

5. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Meh. Go see the band, just don't buy any drinks. Don't let bullies try and dictate where you can see your favorite band.

6. Steve, the OP is going - he's just having a little difficulty accepting locals aren’t going, and he is being accused of being affiliated.

EDIT: OP, just out of curiosity - why are you so concerned about it not being sold out? :confused: