The Peavey Cirrus...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey everyone, as some of you may know I'm looking for a new bass to give myself as a graduation present, yay college! So I'm kind of in love with the Cirrus and I'm wondering if those of you who have some extensive time with these amazing basses could tell me how different they sound based on wood combos. I've played the bubinga model and loved it, but I can't find any other Cirruses, Cirri (?), around to play that are anything but Bubinga bodied. Also, what's the spacing like on the 5 string model? Thanks a ton everyone!
  2. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I owned a Cirrus 4 with a flamed maple top, alder body, and pau ferro fretboard. Overall I loved the bass! The neck was razor thin and very fast. The alder body produced a fairly warm tone IMO and I could dial in a variety of other useful sounds. I should say, I've never been much of a tone-tweaker, so I just found a sound I liked and stuck with it.

I did sell it however because I have small hands and could never get comfortable with the 35" scale of the bass. I LOVED the feel of the string tension but my hands would be too stretched out around the lower register.
    I replaced it recently with a DP Custom 4 single cut. More on that later!!! :p
  3. I have a Cirrus 5 with a maple top and a pao ferro fretboard. This bass has a nice punchy sound. The B string is pretty tight. Therde is a big difference between the E and the B string, but compared to other fivers I have tried only stingray 5 was tighter. You can adjust th string spacing on the bridge. You can´t get as wide as a Fender. I recently tried Thumb 5 and the string spacing felt much more tighter than my Cirrus.
    My description of the sound and feel of the bass would be: tight, punchy and Hi-tech.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a maple/alder Cirrus with ebony fingerboard. It would be characterized as brighter and snappier than the bubinga/walnut models. The same would also apply to the redwood/maple model, while the claro walnut model would fall somewhere between the bubinga/walnut and the others.
  5. I have a maple/alder cirrus 5, I have had the bass for just over a year now and it has been my main bass during that time. I can say that it has been extreemly reliable and a joy to play. I have never encounted any problems with it at all, and I purchased it used so they are real well made instruments.

I'd say that the maple/alder and redwood models have a slightly more warmer/punchy tone to them. about as close to the classic bass tone as the cirrus line gets. the walnut and bumbinga models have a bit more low end and mids in them, I also think they can be a little more modern sounding if you eq them right. they are all great basses and I'm sure you'd be happy with whatever one you got. just be sure you like a 35" scale, some folks don't.
  6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I've owned a Cirrus 4 for about four years now and its been my main gigging bass since then. It's a flame maple/alder model with a pao ferro board. I find the bass to be excellent for just about everything. In the past four years I've played jazz, death metal, acoustic rock, and funk with it on stage and I've never had a problem finding the right sound with it.

Awesome bass, it's worth it!
  7. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    ...the ones I've tried sound pretty close to one another. I say just get what ever looks the best to you.
  8. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

There is this Canadian Music Chain ( ; I think) that has a great web-site related to the Peavey Cirrus. They have a wood selection guide that tells you the different sound properties of the choices available for the Cirrus. I've personally owned 3 Cirri (plural for Cirrus ;) ). I've owned a Wenge/Walnut 5. A Peacock Maple Blue 5 and a Bubbinga 6. Great basses. Really versatile and one of the easiest basses I've ever played with. There was a Bass Player or a Bass World review on the Cirrus 5 a few months ago. Good review to describe the type of player that usually tackles the Cirrus. One of the three basses that has survived my liquidation of basses is the Cirrus 6. I got rid of my Stingray, my Ibanez, my Warwick Thumb 5, and kept the Cirrus and my two Laklands. Got all my basses covered.

Back to your impending decision...
    Depending on what type of sound you are going will dictate what sound you get. However...I believe all three of my Cirri were very versatile and could dial in pretty much any sound I wanted. So you are a winner no matter what. Just be sure to play the one you are getting before you get it.
  9. Just asking, How much does one of these retail for in the US?
  10. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I think they are about $1800. Can be had for much less.
  11. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey thanks for all the help everyone, I appreciate it! The 35" scale is really the only thing that makes me apprehensive about running out and picking up this Cirrus. The store I've played it in only has a little Ashdown or Peavey combo to play through and I own a GK 700RB-II and an Avatar 410... do any of you know how this rig will affect the sound? Because I was having a hard time getting a good ballsy rock sound from it like I can get with my Sterling and my Jazz. I know it'll be thinner and more growly which is what I want, but I guess I just wanted to be sure these Cirri can be as gutsy and ballsy as any other rock bass. Because at the moment the only bass I've found that's fitting the bill and is a 4 string is a Spector Euro 4 with P/J's. Who knows, it's the hunt that's the most fun right? Thanks again everyone, the wealth of information you provide makes the whole process so much more enjoyable and less nerve racking.

12. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    For a 5 string, the best new price I saw was a little over $1300 and you can get a used one between $600 and $1000.
  13. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I had a 5 string Bubinga model. Very nice with a dark mid growl. Not particularly trebly or bright but still had very nice definition with nice rounded highs. Also had a 6 Redwood model for awhiule. Very nice too. "Middy" again with a nice silky, sexy sound and brighter highs. A fine bass no matter what combonation you might pick, however, you just have to find the combonation that appeals to you the most.
  14. I was wondering who,if anyone, lives in the Knoxville Tennessee area who own any Cirrus basses. Maybe we can get together and compare basses.