The Peavey Curse

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, May 20, 2002.

1. I'm suffering from a problem faced by anyone who tries to sell a Peavey product (with the exception of Cirrus basses): horrendous resale value!

I'm trying to sell a one-week-old, $900.00 list guitar preamp and fx processor (Peavey Tubefex) for $225 on Harmony Central, and haven't even gotten a single inquiry yet. Another guy has a G-bass (also $900 list, I think) up for $275, with no luck.

WHY is Peavey's fairly-good stuff so hard to sell? This is almost as bad as trying to unload a _Washburn_, for G-d's sake!

. . . and why CAN you get good resale value from a Cirrus, which is quite similar in component quality and design (pickups, body style, etc) to the G-bass? I mean, the Cirrus is neck-thru and has 2 pickups, but the G-bass has a great graphite neck. . .
  2. Peavey isn't really one of those "name" brands that demands respect. Companies like Gibson, Fender, Marshall and Ampeg all have history and a reputation, even non-musicians can (sub-conciously in a way) identify those amps and instruments. When you buy these brands, you're paying as much for the "name" on the instrument as you are the equipment in it. Peavey, Carvin, and to some degree Yamaha are all relatively new to the market, and even if they have a better track record than any of the big guys, they're still associated with budget brand gear. Also, some of these companies have had QC problems in the past, which kind of leaves a bad taste in some people's mouths.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    People like their wood. I see a lot of NOS Moduli on ebay that no one bids on.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Jordan, as much as I like the Cirrus, I've tried a few G basses and didn't like them. I also typically don't like single pickup basses. The Cirrus OTOH just play better and sound great.

As far as the guitar preamp goes, guitar players can be really traditional in their rigs.

This is why I consider resale value on any purchases I'm not absolutely sure is a keeper... and I consider it on them too;)
  5. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Sometimes all the stars align and a great product emerges. Most notice the great sound and wood combos and the Peavey name gets overlooked. I had my bass for months and my brother the keyboardist finally said, "Peavey!?"
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow when I sold my Dyna-Bass it took a week once I had a website up with lots of photos. That's the key - a web site with photos and a description. And I sold it for more than 50% of my purchase price 9 years later. I guess people know how good those things are (and it was a tremendously solid and good sounding instrument).

On the latest Midnight Oil disc Bones plays a G-Bass a lot. Or it could be a Flea... Not sure... Great bass.
  7. I think all used gear sales are taking a hit right now. I had a hard time unloading a beautiful mint condition Cirrus 6 for $800, and the street price on a new one is ~$1500 or so. I also think that harmony central and other ad boards have many more sellers than buyers recently so a lot of ads never even get seen.
  8. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Has anyone seen the new G-basses. They have 2 pickups now, and the controls are laid out the same as the cirrus. The neck is a little fatter too.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you sure that's not the G Bass V? I believe that the entire G Bass line has been discontinued by Peavey. The V has always had 2 pickups.
  10. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Must have been. I'd never seen a G 5 before so I assumed it was a new design (the double pickup part). Guess not.