The Peavey "Grind"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Nov 10, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Even though I cancelled, I got the latest "Bass Player."

Mr. "Red, White, and Blue", Mr. "America the Beautiful" - Hartley Peavey, has a new bass reviewed in the issue, "The Grind."

It is made in Vietnam - a country which has an official policy of using Vietnamese materials.

Anyone ever heard of another bass/guitar brand made in Vietnam from Vietnamese components???.....(and why do I smell "hypocrite" ???....a Peavey EVH below -)

2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Since we started a pointless and bloody war with Vietnam as a result of Henry Kissinger's unchecked behind-the-scenes deviousness during the Johnson and Nixon administrations, it's only fitting that the U.S. and Vietnam puts the past behind and join hands in forgiveness and skip under rainbows and count fluffy clouds together.

U.S. investment in Vietnam is slowly but steadily increasing. In light of recent events, it's definitely a better place for an American company to build plant and manufacturing than, oh, say the Philippines. Or Indonesia.

Hartley can make instruments wherever he wants, so long as they're good.
  3. LoreBard

Sep 2, 2002
    My Grind was made in Korea...
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

When I was young, a Peavey was not the thing to have. I guess over the years, quality is way up and they make alot of nice things. Regardless, I wouldn't go near one:D

5. Hey, man, don't forget Robert McNamara's unchecked ego.
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I was under the assumption that the Grind BXP was made in Korea. There is also a US version of the Grind bass as well.
  7. rickbass

Christopher - It's just so hypocritical/ironic to me because of an old interview I have with H. Peavey.

In the interview, he disses all the brand names that made their rep's by building instruments in the USA and went on to have instruments built offshore while still keep retainining the companies' brand names.

For instance, the interviewer asks "Why doesn't Peavey use offshore manufacturing?"

Hartley replies, in part, "One of our major competitiors makes virtually all their guitars either in Mexico or offshore. Now, I don't want to throw rocks at anybody, and some of the offshore guitars are pretty good - a hell of a lot better than they used to be. But there's one thing that differentiates Peavey from a lot of my competitors, and that is; my name's on the door."

He goes on to use an analogy about watches being sold that look like Rolex's and say "Rolex" on them that sell on the street for $20. He said they're obviously not Rolex's, not because of the price, but because they're not made at the Rolex factory and they're not made by the people who make Rolex's. He finishes it up by saying, "...then why are these famous-name guitars the real thing?"

It's amazing what a buck can do to some peoples' beliefs. At least many other companies differentiate their offshore instruments by using a different name for the line.
  8. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Aren't some of the other cheaper Peaveys made overseas also?? The Fury's, maybe??:confused: I know where my Cirrus was made, and my soon-to-be-arriving Millenium Plus J, but I am not sure on the others.

I see what you are getting at, now that you included that clip from the interview.
  9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I think that Peavey does use a different name for the Grind basses. The American made verison is the Grind and the Korean made version is the Grind BXP.
  10. rickbass

I still think Hartley is tripping over his tongue ebozz.

All I see is "Peavey" as if it was a US instrument in a "caveat emptor" kind of way (but I haven't actually seen one in a store yet)

11. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Sounds like Peavey is making Vietnamese workers "Slaves to the Grind". Thankyou! Goodnight! I'll be here all week! (Bows...curtain closes...)
  12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I haven't seen the American made bass pictured above or the imported Grind at any of the local Peavey dealers that I frequent. To be honest with you though, I don't see many Millenniums, Cirri or even Furies at those dealers either. I can walk into any of them and put my hands on a Milestone very easily. I don't think that's Hartley's fault.

Now as for him tripping over his tongue, what he said may have been the standard operating procedure at the time that he made that comment. Could it be that he had to modify his stance due to the proliferation of high quality imports that are available now? Lakland, MTD and Spector, to name a few...... all of them have what are considered to be very good import lines, don't you agree?

I mean, I can remember reading quite a few threads with unhappy owners of USA Laklands/Spectors. Many of them were upset that the basses were of such good quality and also that they were almost identical in appearance to their American made cousins. I feel that those basses had a huge impact on the value of the USA Lakland/Spectors and probably so do many others. I see where you're going with this but if Hartley felt that he needed to do an import line to stay competitive, the only thing I have to say is handle your business Hartley.
  13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    This thread hits me on several levels.

I used to play Spectors exclusively and I owned both USA and Czech Republic models and, yes, the quality of the import models (Czech/"Europe Series") is damn near identical to the USA models, to the point that many have been tried to be passed off as USA models on Ebay. When I got my first "Europe Series" I wondered how Spector was still going to be able to sell the USA series at twice the price.

I bought a Cirrus 6 on a lark (great price) and have been so happy with it its become my main instument and the Spectors are gone (after 12 years :eek: ). Since I feel I still need a 4 string I have a Millenium Plus 4 coming from the same source as Ryan (again, great price). I usually won't buy a bass I haven't played first, but I'm sure, if the Cirrus 6 is any indication, it will also be very good.

I like the look of The Grind and if the Millenium reinforces my belief in Peavey's current state of bass manufacturing I'll look into it. Especially if they make an unlined fretless version since the Cirrus doesn't seem to be available in an unlined version (you hear'n me Hartley???).
  14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got a Cirrus 5 and a Millennium Plus 4 with the J/MM pickup configuration. If I'm not mistaken, you've got a Plus 4 J/MM headed your way. I think that you're going to like the Millennium. It has a different vibe than the Cirrus( a little more vintage sounding IMO) but it's nice just the same. I'm sure that you'll realize that it's worth a lot more than the outstanding price that you were able to pay for it. ;)

The unlined fretless thing is another story. Out of the top basses that Peavey has, the only one that you can get as a fretless is the Cirrus and you know that it's got the lined board. Good luck with that!
  15. rickbass

As a 55-02 Skyline owner, I would agree, ebozz.

One major "white man speak with forked tongue" about this whole Peavey scenario is that I don't see Peavey distinguishing their offshore stuff from their USA instruments, (but as I said, I've yet to see one in a store).

Lakland's "Skyine" and instruments like Phat's Spector where the customer is responsible for knowing what "CRFM" means are just a couple of makes that don't seem to be trying hiding the fact that those instruments aren't the USA-made lines on which the company built a reputation.

In light of Hartley's comments I included in a previous post, I think not having some distinguishing nomenclature is extremely hypocritical, if not deceptive.
  16. At the very least, it gets strange when you're trying to sell a used one. Nobody would be confused between a used USA Lakie and an import, because one is 55-94 and another is 55-02, and one says "Lakland" and the other says "Lakland Skyline Series". If I weren't informed on the difference, a quick visit to the Lakland site would tell me that the 55-02 is part of the import series. If a buyer isn't aware that there are two different "Grind" series, there's no way to figure that out without some more involved research.
  17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    The Cirrus line is VERY nice.... Worth checking out.. I have a 6 string and it's SWEET!!
  18. rickbass

You nailed what I was trying to get across, funky.....and I know from your gear, both in your "for sale ads" and what you own, you know what you're talking about.
  19. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have played both the Grind models, US and import.

IIRC, the import model says something like "Grind BXP" on the headstock. And I believe it has "made in some-other-country" on it. (I thought it was Korea, but I could be wrong)

That was about the only way I could tell the difference at a glance.
  20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I think that I really see what your point is and I admit that you could make a valid case for what you're saying. Ditto for what you added funkyC. It's possible that someone could make a mistake regarding which is the import and which is USA.

Now that I've got that out of the way, let me just say that I can easily tell by looking at the pictures of both basses what it is that I'm dealing with. I haven't had the opportunity of seeing either in person so I can't comment on what the first hand differences are. Check it out.....

Grind 5 BXP

Grind 5 USA

Look at the way that the neck is attached to each. How about the difference in the way the preamp controls are positioned? The Grind USA's fretboard also has the dots placed differently. There's only two at the 24th fret while the BXP has the standard dots at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc. The hardware is also different. Those are just a few observations.

I guess that's it's still possible mistake one for the other. Someone who's not paying attention might mistakenly think that a Fury is a Millennium. I wouldn't but there is a resemblance.

I guess that what I'm trying to say is that it's the buyer's responsibility to be informed about what he or she is putting their hard earned cash on. If you're not familiar with a particular bass that you are considering, then you need to go the extra mile to get informed about it. That's just my opinion. If someone had a grind for sale, I would do the necessary research to make sure that I was up to speed prior to buying. I'd do that and I'm not even as experienced as you or funkyC.