1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Peavey has to go..help me pick a replacement!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Oct 12, 2006.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I've had my Peavey Max 700 for almost 1 year now. It's my first bass head and its served me well. I wanna get rid of it because of its weight and size. If the tone was incredible, then I could deal with the weight. I mean, the tone is good but not really good enough to make me forget about the weight/size issue.

Here's what I am looking for -

-Something that goes down to 2 ohms (I currently have a 4 ohm cab and plan on adding a 2nd one in the future)
    -Lots of headroom
    -Lighter and smaller than my current head
    -I like some grit/overdrive in my tone..not too much, but some would be nice when cranking the gain.

The music I play is mostly Alternative/Hard Rock. I play a 5 string active Spector.

Any recommendations for a bass head that would meet my needs and would pair nicely with a Schroeder 1212R? I'm open to new ideas, and would not rule out a pre/power set up.

Lets say for around $1500 or under?

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Inactive

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
  3. Or a seperate preamp and power amp?

I was thinking about this too yesterday actually.

My Firebass is really under used, its a backup and practice amp and out of league with my SVT. Whenever i use my Firebass i usually (now) use my Tech21 Sansamp BDDI (at Line level) strainght into the Effects Return (which is post EQ). And it sounds awsome, but takes up alot of space, and is heavy for what is essentially a 700 watt poweramplifier

(i use the effects return so i can still use the master volume control, which is the downfall of going straight to power amp)

4. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I actually just ordered a Tech21 Sansamp BDDI the other day.
    I will try running it through my effects return to see what this sounds like. I'm not sure I am understanding completely why you run it through the effects loop though instead of plugging it right into the input. Are you by-passing the pre-amp by using the effects return?

Good call on the Mesa Big Block 750. I was actually considering that one.

5. Im bypassing the preamp, well, most of it, im bypassing the whole EQ section by going to the effects return. I change from time to time, sometimes i like the extra colouration of the peavey EQ, sometimes i dont!

The big pro of going into the return is you still control the master volume :D

6. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Bump!
    Any other recommendations?

So far I have heard Mesa Big Block 750, which I actually tried yesterday and liked very much.

Any others?

7. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    Genz Benz GBE 750 seems like it might fit the bill.

8. Try a ?Yorkville XS800. Never used it with a Schroeder cab but it may work for ya. 2 ohms, 800 W, 25lbs. And it's Canadian. Killer warranty.

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Best head I can think of for $1500 and under and can do 2 ohms stable is a Aguilar DB750 for sure (used). THERE IS NO OTHER CHOICE! ;)

10. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Yes I have tried a Yorkville XS800.
    Wasn't too crazy about it - it was hissier and noisier than my Peavey. The tube overdrive channel was godawful. Other than that it had solid construction and it was very light compared to the Peavey. The biggest upset was that it produced less power at 2 ohms VS 4 ohms.

I took a look at that Genz Benz 750 online. Looks like a great head, too bad I won't get to try one..nobody around here carries Genz Benz.

Thanks for the help.

11. If you bought that Genz-Benz head and decided you don't like it, you could flip it like hotcakes on this forum.
    I've never met somebody that didn't like their Genz head. In addition to that, their customer service and product support is second to none.
    C7

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021