1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Peavey Tour series of cabs really stands out on MF.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fireincairo, Aug 31, 2008.

1. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    I just browsed the Musiciansfriend bass amp inventory (all 31 pages) looking at bass cabs. One thing really jumped out at me as a fantastic value for the options you get were the Peavey Tour series of cabinets. If I had to buy a couple of cabs quickly, I would get the Tour 2x10 and the Tour 1x15.

All of the tour cabs are super lightweight, have neo speakers, and look pretty sharp.

Anyone rocking these cabs? It looks like Peavey is really trying to compete with Avatar directly, whereas most mass producers continue to do their own (read as heavier cabs without neo speakers) thing at higher pricepoints.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm not rocking them, but I've always found Peavey to be a very underrated brand since the mid-80's. Never cared for their 70's gear, but they make some pretty sharp equipment these days.

3. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    I dig the Peavey stuff. If I can talk the Peavey dealer over in Anna, IL into dragging one in, I want to give a Tour 215 a workout. I don't need that much firepower, but you can always turn down. Plus, I think it would be a little easier to move than my Peavey 4x10.

4. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'll stick with Avatar. I sat down Friday and played on the 210 (marked down to $99). Very little mid-high response, definition just wasn't there, and the cab had some SERIOUS structural resonance issues (there were some notes that made the cab rattle louder than the note being played, no exaggeration).

For $99, it was probably a good deal. But I think the normal price was $449 or something ridiculous like that. Uh uh.

-Mark

5. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    I was just crunching the numbers, and it appears Avatar has them beat by the numbersin terms of cost.

They're similar in terms of weight and dimensions, but an Avatar 2x10 + 2x12 rig would be more than $200 bucks less (if you consider shipping costs) than the Peavey 2x10 + 1x15 rig. The peavey stuff looks cool, and would really compliment my Peavey Butcher head visually, but I may side with my wallet on this one.

6. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008

Really? Thanks for your input.

7. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    It could have been a fluke bad cab. Barring the rattle, it was certainly better than any of the GK backline stuff, and would be good for $99, probably even for $199. But with that high of a regular price, it would be up with the Markbass 210, and that cab smoked it.

I was playing through a F1, BTW, so while I was loud, I wasn't slamming it. It did do a really nice job down low for a 210, but the rattle turned me off. Still, for $99...

-Mark

8. i had 2 of the 410 tour neos, they were pretty good speakers, very light. id say the ease of moving them and the tone made them pretty good. they just didnt have "the tone" i was looking for. but great cabs nonetheless. they held up great last summer when i giged once a week.
    though i did hear some rattleing on one of the cabs as a previous poster stated. that was when i traded them in for the eden 410.

9. StoBro

StoBro

Jun 2, 2007
    Chicagoland
    About a year ago I tried a 210 and a 115 (seperately) and I found the cabinets would resonate on certain notes. They didn't rattle, exactly. It's just that some notes were more "boomy" than others. I investigated and found the large vent slot opening left the bottom panel of the cabinet unbraced near the opening. If I wedged something in there to brace it, the boom went away.

10. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I am sure those are the imported Peavey cabs and they sound dull and lifeless next to the Avatar stuff.

11. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I did notice some unevenness on certain notes, but the cab I tried was definitely a wood-on-wood "bbbbbppppppttttt" sound.

-Mark

12. ricknote

ricknote

Aug 3, 2006
    Nashville
    The 210 here at the GC in Nashville had the same problem.
    Loud rattles from everywhere. Was on sale for $99 all weekend.
    It's still there...

13. Kingskippy2001

Kingskippy2001

Aug 12, 2008
    Ohio
    My 2 cents is that these sounds are comming from the "Ultra-lightweight plywood" as they say on their site. I think they tried to lighten the plywood and that is where it is losing. Cab would be pretty good if they used better wood/bracing.