1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Pedal Effect, A New Addiction?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by StyleOverShow, Apr 27, 2009.

1. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Played bass for decades with a bass and amp only (and about 2 years ago starting playing the big boy, an upright).

Just got my first set of pedals and seem to be collecting them quicker than I can use them! Have used them sparingly at gigs, almost embarrassed to squash something on the floor like a stomp box, but truly like the sounds that they produce.

Chorus and Reverb together add to a ballad or jazz standard and I use them with my fretless at home all the time.

OD has become my pedal of choice when I want to stand out a little from the band and it sounds even nicer when coupled with other effects.

Is this common? Your first pedal makes you want to buy and use more and more pedals. I've already secured a Pedal Train and I think that I'm on the road to ruin.

2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    We bagged us another one.

Pretty much.

Fixed it for ya.

Some people are addicted to crack cocaine. The TB FX forum denizens are addicted to pedals; and why not. Even a boutique pedal is cheaper than a boutique bass and it makes cooler sounds.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Common????? It's inevitable!!!!

I had a phaser, tube screamer and Envelope filter back in 81-82 and never really got much use out of them... lost / sold them by the end of the 80s

Fast forward to 2 years ago when I caught the bug... now I have 12 pedals on my board and 2 new ones I'm building plus another 2 I'm planning. I outgrew my first board and bought a bigger one, now I'm about to start using the 2 of them together!!!!!

4. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    I had had a single pedal (OD) for 6 years, and it was enough for me. Over the past 4 months (coincidentally, ever since I started visiting TB), tho, I've bought 5 pedals... :\

5. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Another one bites the dust (or is it silicon?)!! :D

6. Dude when I first came to Talkbass, I had a mild addiction. I wanted to build a Tool ripoff board for the lowest price possible. With the knowledge you'll receive from this forum...you'll be headed to the saem twelve-step program my wife is sending me too!! But wow...what a ride it is!!

Just the other day my neighbour said to me, "Hey I didn't know you had a synth in your basement?!" I must have been havin some OC-2/fuzz fun.

Welcome Aboard!!!

7. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Welcome to the effects forum. Please have your credit card number handy... :D

It's definitely a slippery slope. I started out with a single chorus ten years ago and it has ballooned into a board filled with effects. I'd say to save yourself, but it's probably already too late. ;)

8. I don't even have a job anymore and I'm still buying pedals.
    Hmm, maybe I could sell my spleen to get a BMS, any takers?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, I could never do that. I've always just bought pedals that were incredibly good deals or pedals that I really thought I could use. I can't do the pedal junkie thing because I find them so annoying to use more than a handful. But I will say that being a pedal junkie beats being a heroin junkie any day ;)

10. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    BTW buddy, it's called GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). :)

11. p4toda

p4toda

Aug 10, 2008
    At the middle
    Welcome to TB fx forum. you may find yourself staring at the
    'post your pedalboard' thread for hours, then a GAS build-up is sure to follow...

my journey started with a tuner, then came the need for a compressor,then wah, then chorus, and then the never ending quest for that fuzz you keep hearing inside your head.

enjoy the trip my friend.

12. You took the red pill, you face the consequences. You deserve no sympathy for your plight. ;)

13. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    just be wary of GAS,....

I still keep looking for 'the ultimate fuzz/bass distortion' tone even though im actually happy with my gear 98% of the time,... looking at youtube vids of everything possible!

even though I have no real place for it in my band (which is most of my creative output) I still look into ring mods and bit crushers and noise machines,... I always end up with my mind split in two places though,... to be the justin chancellor of effect and add random noises to make certain parts better,... or to keep it simple and play more like Adam Duce from machine head with simple rythm and the occasional distortion/modulated thing happening,...

even some pedals I have no real use for I still keep looking at clips alot though,... hmmmmm

14. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Pedals are my cocaine... :bassist:

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I want to be a pedal junkie, but I just can't find a use for them in my situation. I suppose that's a good thing...at least for my bank account.

16. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    now you have metalocalypse with the rock clown in my head,...

'I DO COCCCCAIIIIINEEEEEEEEEE'

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's an addiction for sure, but at least it's a healthy one. I use a very small board, (5 pedals) with my band, but have a much larger board at home, mostly for my own amusement. Waiting for the day when a project comes along where I can use them all.

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    A little safer too.

19. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I'm just glad that GAS isn't actually physical...TB would be the smelliest place on Earth!

20. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I don't think so. Oscillation and feedback are incredibly dangerous to your hearing, your bandmates, your audience, and the venue. :D

But I swear I have no personal experience to back this up... nope, none whatsoever... :ninja: