1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

The pedal you use most

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iceshaft07, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceshaft07

iceshaft07

Mar 4, 2007
    I am thinking about getting a pedal, but they are kind of expensive, so I want to make sure I am going to get one I use.

I know this is a very subjective question, But I am sure every genre of music has a common pedal that is frequently used (as in rock always uses this, country always uses that).

What would you recommend?

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I won't be an ass and say "tuner!" but you would need that! ;)

Chorus or any kind of "drive" pedal is fine. I just got an EBS UniChorus, and it's the best sounding pedal ever for that use. I don't want to turn it off! :D

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I have my compressor "on" pretty much the whole time, so thats my answer. I use my tuner all the time as well...

As far as an actual effect, I'd say I use my chorus the most...but I really use them all pretty equally.

4. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    +1

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have a Behringer BDI-21; it's not primarily an effects box, but it does a nice job of doing a soft tube sound when wanted, and also provides an XLR output for the PA system if needed. I run through it all the time, and use it often.

6. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    Compressor on all the time , its not exciting but boy does it help!

7. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Compressor ... EBS Multicomp to be exact

:) ... It's on 90% of the time ... except on real quite passages where I need the dynamics.

8. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    im always running my russian big muff for the harder riffs

9. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    Compressor on all the time, but other than that, i rock out my English Muff'n in ALMOST every song mand in one song it is always on.

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup - same with my CS-3.

Joe

11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i use my Lovetone Meatball (Envelope Filter) most of the time. Cause I = Funky.

12. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I have a Demeter Compulator compressor and a BBE Sonic Stomp that both stay on all night long. But those are more like "signal processing" than "effects" in the way you seem to be asking. Of the "effects" on my pedalboard, I seem to use the octaver the most.

We do a few cover tunes that have octaves in the bass, I've worked it into a couple originals, and if you are the type to take a solo now and then it can be fun to turn the octaver on for that too.

I have a lot of pedals, and they all are cool in their own right, but I seem to go to the octaver the most.

13. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'm an old guy, and to say that I'm not up on pedals would be an understatement.

When I play electric bass, I adjust my tone to cut through the mix. But, when it's time to solo, and the rest of the band lays back, the sound I'm getting has too much treble.

To combat this I use one of two pedals - depending on which rack I'm using. If I'm playing through my Yamaha PB-1 preamp, I use an on/off pedal to engage/disengage the parametric EQ so I always have two different sounds available. When I'm playing through my B-1500, I use a BOSS EQ pedal to achieve he same effect.

I've always wondered about effects pedals, but didn't want to add to the complexity of my rig or be mistaken for a wanker guitarist. That being said, I've been seriously considering adding an X-wire and a compressor. I guess it couldn't hurt to consider a chorus pedal as well.

14. +1

15. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    My Boss tuner and my Sansamp BDDI.

16. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I use my VoodooLabs Sparkle Drive on about 50% of our song when I want a little extra bite to my tone. It is subtle but works really well.

Later
    Rob

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    chorus

18. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yep, that's exactly why I use the BBE Sonic Stomp. Light to moderate effect - 9:00 to 10:30 on both knobs. It provides that little extra shimmer.

19. I have an Ibanez TS9DX. I leave it on 95% of the night. I love the tone of it, slightly overdriven... yet a BIG, STRONG signal.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.