1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The pedal you use most

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iceshaft07, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I have an Analog.man modded version that was supposed to be here already.
    I wanted to use it tonight for my rehearsal, but no such luck... Hope it's here by 4 so I can run with it.

2. Akeris

Akeris

Jul 23, 2006
    New Jersey
    Well, I guess it depends.

Get a compressor if you want the punch-y-ness while remaing a subtle effect (It's not really much of an effect more like a "leave it on" thing)

Get some form of overdrive or distortion if you're into harder music
    and want somthing that's not like a tone adjustment. Or a chorus.

Or, get a tone shaper thing, the Sansamp BDDI or the Hartke Bass Attack, maybe.

Or, you know, a ring modulator :ninja:

3. Pooly

Pooly

Feb 14, 2006
    London, UK
    +1 !

4. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    If you want to talk about sparkle, string up an Ibby with D'Addarios, turn the tone knob up and the bright switch on your amp. I don't have a tweeter though, so that might change things. ;) I'm interested in a better compressor and sonic stomp though, but I'm pretty satisfied with my tone.

Now, effects: I have my Ibby PD7 and it's on so much that I don't even notice it anymore. I use my compressor whenever I turn on my PWB because I get terrible feedback in the toe-down (it's a BEAST when you boost+wah; I can't wait to use it live/not a personal practice and without the comp :D). Compression is nice for controlling spikes and taming my wah, but other than that I can't use it; mine's too squishy for my liking.

Oh, and the boost on my PWB is on a lot. I should really get a looper for it.

In short: overdrive.

5. I play in a metal/hardcore band with two guitarists who don't really change their sounds much throughout the set. My lead player has a delay that he steps on in a couple of songs, but otherwise it's kind of up to me to get different sounds and textures. In a typical 6-song set, I'll use each of my three main distortions (Russian Big Muff Pi, Digitech Bad Monkey, and the SABDDI simulation on my ME-50B) for two songs. On one song, I'll combine the big muff with the chorus and delay from the ME-50B, and on another, I'll use chorus, delay, AND a sub-octave with the muff for the intro.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't really have one pedal or sound that I use more than anything else. I try to give everything a workout and use whatever sound fits the song.

6. hansfranz

hansfranz

Jul 22, 2005
    Rocklin, CA
    Delay :ninja:

7. Always on: Compulator & BBE sonic maximizer
    Fulltone bassdrive almost always.

8. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    My compressor is built into my amp, so I use my Boss ODB-3 (if the numbers are wrong, it's yellow) bass distortion pedal the most. I run it fairly lightly mixed into my signal. 'Tis a fine grind IMO.

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    IMO too! (Don't listen to those guys who think we're spun for liking the ODB!)

Joe

10. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Colorado
    Octave-Auto Q-Phaser-Bass Driver BUT I still need a good compressor pedal. I will most likely add a Demeter compulator soon.

11. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    some great points and suggestions have been made. The three best IMO are:

1. Tuner (well...cuz ya gotta play in tune)
    2. Compressor (for signal Processing)
    3. Chorus (for effect)

12. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    EHX Black Finger Compressor ($175)
    Danelectro Fab Chorus ($15)
    Behringer BDI21 ($29) (when I am not using my Markbass head)

13. Always on: MXR M80 Bass DI with the color button ON. I like leaving the Boss CEB3 on too.

14. Romain

Romain Effects Addict Club member #15

1. EBS MuliComp / Radial Tonebone Bassbone (!) (100% / 100%)
    2. Fulltone Bass-Drive (90%)
    3. Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (60%)
    4. Line 6 ToneCore Echo Park (50%)
    5. MXR Phase 90 (40%)

:bassist:

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I will be an ass - a tuner pedal. Preferably one that mutes as you tune - like a Boss TU-2. I HATE LISTENING TO PEOPLE TUNE ON STAGE AND THERE IS NO REASON FOR IT ANY MORE.

Sorry, it's a thing with me.

16. I use a Zoom B1x multi-effects pedal. It works great for various amp modeling and effects.

17. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Tuner, Boss CEB-3, and Sansamp BDDI, in that order, with a an OC-3 two or three times a night.

18. Mad Tango

Mad Tango Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Pearland, Tx.
    The only pedal I use is a Hartke Attack pedal. It adds a little warmth and has notch filter similar to the Nathan East para eq. to find the sweet spot in different basses and amps. For those who have it try the harmonics and mix @ 10:00 oclock. Next the shape knob on or about max. which is 1khz.

19. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    I use compression the most (leave it on nearly all the time... EBS multicomp) but that's not really an effect as such.

In terms of a stand out effect... heavy overdrive supplied by a Roger Mayer Voodoobass :bassist:

20. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    With all of the distortion effects I've got on my pedalboard, you'd think I'd be using a distortion pedal most of the time.

However... other than the EBS MultiComp, the pedal I use the most is my EHX Clone Theory. For clean melodic passages, it's hard to top the shimmery thickness of a good chorus pedal! :smug:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.