1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The pedalboard I'd want

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ndrly, Feb 24, 2008.

1. I think I might have a good idea about what pedals I'd want/which way to set them up...

1. Envelope Filter - Probably an Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron

2. Distortion/Fuzz - I'd like to think along the lines of a Big Muff or maybe a Fulltone Bassdrive (if I can get the $$$)

3. Chorus - Definitely a Clone Theory.

4. Whammy - Digitech Whammy IV, unless there's other whammy pedals out there that are quote-unquote better.

5. Delay - BOSS DD-3. I'd like to put the Whammy and the delay right next to each other.

That's it. If you can suggest any better pedals in place of the ones I mentioned, please do.

2. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Well the Big Muff is a fuzz and the Fulltone Bassdrive is and OD/distortion, you might want something in between or something that can do both like the LBM.

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Better as in, "better"? I suppose you could replace the Qtron with the Qtron+ and the DD-3 with a DD-20. Gives you more options. More expensive, too.

4. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    My LBM can't do much else besides fuzz.

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Only one filter? :confused: ;)

I would want a fancier delay than the DD-3, something with tap-tempo to make it more useful on stage. I don't like the sound of the Boss digital delays either.

I could probably live without a chorus, unless I was in a cover band, which I'm not, so I'd rather get a nice phaser instead.

And - personally - the Big Muff is way too hardcore for me. It produces some really lush tone but I couldn't imagine switching it on without getting fired.

6. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
  7. I was also thinking of also having a rackmounted tube preamp. Something along the lines of a Mesa/Boogie Big Block 750. Is the overdrive on that beast desirable? And if so, is it safe to run it without a load?

8. You might think about using a Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah instead of an actual wah pedal. IME the Boss does a better job, mainly because I have never been able to learn how to play a real wah pedal.

9. The Q-Tron isn't a wah pedal. It's an envelope filter. So is the Boss AW-3.

10. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Q-tron is an envelope filter, AW-3 is in fact an auto-wah.

11. Still, I'm interested in the Q-Tron. I was also thinking of putting another Big Muff in the effects loop for some cool "fuzz-wah" sounds. Sorta like Bootsy Collins.

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    A brief word of warning, ndrly:

What seems ideal to you on paper may not be after you've actually purchased those pedals, basses, amps, playing styles, and pure experience can completely change what you end up with. I wouldn't stress too much about having the "perfect" board until you get your feet wet in each category that interests you.

This is coming from a guy who used to own a slew of Boss pedals, and then a slew of EHX pedals, and then a carefully assorted selection of pedals that came out of arduous trial and error.

Take it slow. Your wallet will thank you later. ;)

13. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    A major +1, don't limit yourself to a certain brand just because a few of their pedals impress you. Also don't always take what you see on here to be true, what sounds amazing for one man may sound like dog poo for you.

14. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    True that. Also getting one pedal at a time lets you really figure out how each one works in depth. I've gotten a couple pedals at once on occasion and it usually isn't until much later that I figure out each one's real potential.

Also don't buy anything sight unseen if you can avoid it.

15. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    pff who cares what the wallet thinks anyway

:bag:

16. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    ...wives, girlfriends and mothers?

17. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Don't pretend like you're not an EHX fanboy. We all know EHX still makes you sauce your pants... just maybe not as much.

18. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Heheh. :D

It just so happens that EHX manufactures many of my favorite pedals for effect types I don't really use or need. :meh:

The Mistress, of course, is my gorgeous exception. ;)

19. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    DISCLAIMER: I'm an EBS dealer and an EH dealer.

When I bought my envelope filter a few months back, I went with the EBS BassIQ. The QTron was my second choice only because:
    1) The Q-Tron has a larger footprint, and my pedal board is almost maxed out.
    2) The Q-Tron is more flexible than the EBS... and that was TOO flexible for me. I had to work too hard to keep a good tone dialed in.

So if size is not an issue for you and you prefer more flexibilty rather than less, the EH would be a good choice.

20. I was also thinking of just fuzz for distortion if I can get nice gain out of an Ashdown or a Mesa/Boogie amp.