1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Penn State Scandal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. No, SMU was worse and they got the death penalty.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No S. Cal and Miami both paid players

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Carrots.

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Is the Penn State Scandal the worse in the history or the NCAA football? I mean the SMU, Miami, and SoCal scandals were bad, but I doubt dozens of kids lives were scarred by intentional institutional negligence for the sake of preserving a legacy the way they were at Penn State. Your thoughts?

2. SMU, Miami, USC - hardly real "scandals." People giving broke kids money are against NCAA's rules, but those rules are largely archaic and need to be (and have been) looked at and revised a bit.

Penn State on the other hand...it's not even football, or NCAA, or broke college kids, or shady agents, or any of that stuff. Child abuse and coverups are in a whole new realm

3. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Apples and Satan's testes, OP.

4. Ha!

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I didn't even read the other choices under yes before I voted yes.

However, I am trying to figure out the reason for this thread. Do you really think someone is going to vote for SMU giving players money and gifts over a man who raped children for 14+ years and was allowed to do so while the people in power to stop him did not? The SoCal scandal? Are you referring to Reggie Bush getting a place to live and some other freebies for a few years? How is that even in the same discussion as what happened at PSU?

-Mike

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I actually agree, But I couldn't think of any other college scandals even close. It really is the worse scandal in the history perhaps of all NCAA sports.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    True, but this is far more than a sports scandal in my opinion.

-Mike

8. Yes, it is the "worst".

9. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    As I understand it, Reggie Bush got a boatload of cash and gifts from a would-be sports agent/marketer from his hometown of San Diego, not from any SoCal officials or boosters or anyone actually connected with the SoCal football program. USC was tagged by the NCAA with "should have known" and "lack of institutional control".

Either way, no recruiting/eligibilty scandal should even be mentioned in the same breath as...

the Penn State horror. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't in the same breath.

10. Agreed. Paying athletes affects the sports program of a university. Allowing an environment that safely harbored a child rapist affects the entire university, the community, and far beyond.

11. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    It's like trying to argue which sin is the worst sin.

12. What could be worse than children sexually abused!!!!!!!!!

13. Given that there's a new and special circle of hell reserved for Paterno, Sandusky and the rest, yes.

SMU, USC = corruption and poor judgement.

PSU = evil

14. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    People have been covering up the misdeeds of athletes and coaches for decades because sports has always been given far too much importance. It's just a game, and it should just be treated like that...it provides a few hours of entertaintment, and nothing more than that.

When people finally stop treating athletes and coaches like gods, what happened at Penn State would have been stopped the very first time he was caught and not been allowed to continue for years.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Good points duff. While it is only a game, for these big football factory schools, it is also a major source of revenue to fund other sports and programs at the school. So yeah, I can see how easily football can be escalated up the food chain of importance at a university. Add in there too the thousands of young men and women who have had the chance to better their lives and the communities they live in because of the sport they play, that also makes it easy for some people to blur that line of importance over a "game".

-Mike

16. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    MJ...I understand that college football generates huge revenue, but that's a direct result of people attaching too much importance to sports.

It starts at college, and continues to the pros...regular wage earners are so fanatic that they are more than willing to vote to use their tax dollars to build a new stadium for a professional NFL team. The NFL generates more than enough revenue that teams could afford to build their own stadiums, but people earning $30k a year don't mind building a $500 million stadium for a team paying salaries of $120 million.

No one says, "Hey, you pay your employees too much. If you cut the payroll to $20 million, that leaves you $100 million a year to save to build a stadium, and you won't need any tax dollars.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You're totally right my friend, and I agree with you. I was only presenting how easy it is for any school or city to lose sight of how important athletics are. Some folks are surprised at what happened in State College, I am not. To be fair, athletics are a valuable part of our culture.

As for your comments about stadium construction, any business the magnitude of a professional sports franchise will get concessions from the state and local government where they want to build their facility. I used to live near Seattle. Year after year, I watched the city, county, and state bend over backwards with tax breaks and other subsidies to keep Boeing in the region. As it turned out, Boeing left town due to a more lucrative package of financial incentives from another city.

On a smaller scale, a few years ago Cabela's expressed interest in opening a store in the town I lived in, Lacey. The city, county, and state gave them all kinds of tax breaks, covered the costs of infrastructure improvements and made other concessions to Cabela's so they would open the store in Lacey.

-Mike

18. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    How much tax revenue does that $500 million stadium generate over its working life?

19. Just a comment to this really, it's something that we don't really see over here. The biggest interests in sports are in the Pro game. College/University sports generally don't have any crowd! Heck, even high level amateur sports don't have a huge draw.

20. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    Studies show that generally the publicly funded stadium are overall money losers for cities.