Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the people at Peavey Impressed me today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by top028, Aug 29, 2000.

1. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I went to a local music store looking for a new combo...up untill today, I have looked down apon peavey products for lack of tone, but today I am a changed man. I am looking for a larger combo, and thier 15 combo was amazing. I shook the room with it, got jaco tone, and squeaked out half ass slap tone, all on my fretless!! I was amazed. It was loud, but also sounded great quiet. I dont know what model it was, but it had a graphic EQ and onboard compression(that I was not fond of), and a white face they only wanted $539. So much for the GK micro bass. I was almost going to save up for that....$700...what goes into one of those any way. the tone is awesome for the size, but they dont shake the room

I will still never be caught dead with at peavey bass in my hands....(untill I am proven wrong again) :)

2. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    top,

Judging by your description and the price, I'd guess it's a Combo 115. I've got one, and I love it. I haven't played anything louder for the price, and with an extension cab, it's pretty much as loud as you would ever need without going through PA. And the tone stays clean at higher volumes (esp with the added cab), unlike some previous models.

Beware the weight though - it's a b!tch to move. You'll need a dolly or a buddy to help you lug it around, plus lots of space in your vehicle. Something to consider before you plunk down the cash.

3. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA

I dont know what an Ibanez EX series is like, but I'll bet a Peavy Cirrus with tikle your fancy. :)

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

A Peavey B-Quad 4 would tickle anybody's fancy.

Will C.:cool:

5. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I will have to check it those basses out...My Ibanez is not really an Ibanez...just the body. My warmoth neck is pure heaven.

6. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    Just curious, what did you base your previous opinion on? Was it personal experience with the gear, or just word of mouth?

7. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    The Combo 115 is a real monster -- had one for about five years and really liked it. It's a pig to move around though, at about 90 lbs, with a single strap on the top. Who did they think was going to carry this thing, Kareem Abdul-Jabar? I found that the sound really opened up when I also hooked a 210TXF.

8. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I based my opinion on personal experience. Some of the school's equipment, Friend's equipment. I am verry picky about tone. Perhaps peavey got its act to gether within the last few years. I was not impressed by thier amps, Especially peavey's solid state and smaller combo Guitar amps. THey suck the tone out of any guitar being played.
    I have to tell of annother experience w/ peavey that surprised me. A 4/10 tube amp for guitar was very impressive...quality 60's stack tone.
    A few of my friends have peavey basses, and they must be lower end, since you guys rave about peavey bases. These basses of my friends, played bad, sounded bad, and looked bad.

9. Glad to hear that everyone likes this amp so much--I'm going out to possibly buy one pretty soon. Later

Woofy Out

10. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    A revelation. Not ever having used older Peavey gear, I kinda wondered why they had such a bed rep. Now I know.

When I play at church, unless it's an outdoor gathering or rally or sumpthin', I use the house amp, mainly cuz I'm lazy, and hell, it's just church (can I say that?). For whatever reason, no matter where I go this ends up being a Crate BX-100, which has a nice tone and is just fine for small-medium sized gatherings. However, lately members of the "other" denomination (in the military we all share one big happy church and its associated gear) have squirreled it away somewhere (I think there is a commandment somewhere addressing this very issue) so I've been stuck using a Crate KX-100, which is a keyboard amp. Yeah, I know, but it's better than going straight into the PA, and usually with a little EQ tweakage I can get a serviceable tone through a keyboard amp if I have to. Anyway, this one disappeared too (someone's going to hell fer shure), so I was left with the remaining junky old Peavey KB-300 keyboard amp (Scorpion speaker). I own a more recent KB-100, a smaller version which is "ok" for bass (I play keys too), so I figured the KB-300 would at least get me through the service.

Wrong. OH MY GAWD. WHAT A TURD. It had one setting - BOOOOM. Nothing I did to the crappy little stack-knob EQ would give me any kind of defined tone. And this is with a notoriously nasally/farty Carvin. I can't imagine what a P-bass would sound like through it. It didn't matter what note you played - it was all indistinct mud. It was horrible. I wanted to stop the service and yell, "I don't usually sound like this, I SWEAR."

Granted, this was a keyboard amp and not a bass amp, but still. If the older bass amps sounded like this thing, I can understand how Peavey got a bad rep. Let me assure you that the newer amps sound NOTHING like this faux-elephant hide covered piece of excrement. If this thing had been my first Peavey experience, I'd never have bought another one of their products. They should have put a 10-year self-destruct timer on it. Maybe Peavey should institute a buy-back program to get this image-tarnishing detritus out of churches and off the street (and Roger, if you use either of these ideas, you owe me a free T-shirt :)). Man.

If you are forming your opinion of Peavey based on crap like the thing I played tonight, I understand where you're coming from. But give their newer stuff a shot. It's night and day. Really.

11. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA

Well we dont exactly rave about them. I'll be the first to admit that the vast majority of Peavy basses suck a$$.
    But like most company's, there low end stuff will suck, and there High end stuff will be nice. I heard Fender evan makes a nice bass if you willing to shellout alot of cash.:D
    :eek: