1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The people in my band are all better than me!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Mar 2, 2008.

1. And I picked the lineup! Every single person in the band has played for longer, knows more theory, and has more live experience than me etc etc.

I am keeping up and it's not like I suck at bass or in a live setting...I can hold my own and all that. But I admit I've taken the easy road on a lot of the songs on the set list to build the repertoire, and now these guys are starting to inject some more difficult numbers (at least to me) to keep us on our toes and keep things interesting, and some of the discussions that turn theory leave me wanting to know more theory etc.

Why they joined my band I don't know (except 1 guy who I was in a band with before) and they sometimes find some holes in my game (which I am quick to address), but I am really happy with the lineup and hope we can stick long term, even if I'm being challenged a lot.

Anyone else recruit a lineup better than you expected or felt you deserve for the level you're at?

2. Inflin

Inflin

Apr 30, 2007
    Newcastle, UK/Currently London
    Affiliated with Genelec, Avalon Design.
    I've been in a LOT of bands like that, and I love it. There's really no better way to learn, and advance. It keeps you on your toes.

I know I wouldn't be at the level I am today if I hadn't had bandleaders spring solos and complex writing challenges in the early days. It made me hungry to improve!

3. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I wish my band were like this. Right now I'm the best, next to my keyboardist.

EDIT: not to toot my own horn or anything.

4. It's much better to play with musicians who are more advanced than you. I play with a few different groups, and I find I improve quicker playing with more talented musicians. Plus...it just sounds better and is more fun.

5. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    I think that the best thing is to play with people that are a little better than you, so u can learn from them and not keep them back at the same time ;)

6. sounds like a good problem to have

7. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    That's why you're the bass player.... :bag:

Jokes apart, it looks like the right place to be ! I think it's the only way to really learn and likely learn fast ! You're probably under positive pressure to get things quickly fixed and this will motivate your progress that, with the right discipline, won't be long to show. Imagine the opposite, if yoiu were the best you'd have nothing to learn!

Go and practice now ! :bassist:

:)

Paolo

8. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    When I was in High School I was One of 3 Bassist and the other 2 had little endurance.

So once this fact was found I was being recruited by some serious shredders (by the way this was during the height of the Metal Age 87'-92') And allthough I allways had a steady and fast plucking fingers (Harris Gallop and all) My Fretting hand was severly lacking.

Well to FF to the point, Playing with older/more experienced musicians FORCED me to get better not only Fretting wise but everything else as a whole.

Consider yourself in a lucky spot!

9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    definitely a benefit. the guitarist and drummer in my band have been playing together for almost 10 years now in different bands/cover bands, etc. The drummer is a music production major at berklee (with his main instrument as bass) and the guitarist grew up playing jazz guitar and piano so they both had a bit of a leg up on me in terms of theory when we started out, but its been an incredible experience playing with them and we create some pretty interesting music.

10. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    +1

11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    It'll be great for teaching you new things and challenging you. I've been the weakest member of a band before, and that's when I really had to double up on the woodshedding, but by the next band I was that much stronger as a player.

I'm probably the strongest in one of my projects, but I'm definitely competing with guys that are all a really good match in my other. But, I learn and get practice playing both. Whether it's having to play to a weaker drummer or trying to keep up with some of the polyrhythms and odd time sigs that the other's demanding (I remember initially feeling so frustrated -- "why do I get my one big bass solo in the song in 12/8 w/a changing key????") but it's only aided skills that were lacking otherwise.

12. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Two thing come to mind

First, you may be better then you are giving yourself credit for. In my first real band I thought I was the least talented/skilled. Got a backhanded compliment from the band leader "Butch, you might be better then you think you are"

Second, band chemistry is at least as important as individual skills. Your other band members may know more theory, but it's the sum of the band that's important. You said you were holding your own. Find a good teacher, learn some theory, work to improve. If the band chemistry is good, the members will want to continue.

The best band I was in for band chemistry was Boston Baked Blues. We got a compliment from one of the notable blues players in the area. After a battle of the blues bands competition, in which he judged, he said we played the best AS A GROUP of any of the bands that night.

Remember, a great band is always greater then the sum of it's parts.

:bassist:

13. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    Everybody in my band is a very accomplished musician who have all played with a who's who of the industry including Micheal Macdonald,destiny's child,George duke Jeffery Osborn ect.Because of scheduling we don't get to play that often but when we do it's a pleasure to work with them.

14. In my band I've got a keyboard player who's classically trained and has been playing since he was 7, he's 44 right now. Our drummer is 41 and he's been playing since he was 15, and went to Berklee but didn't graduate, and our guitarist graduated from the Musician's Institute in L.A. and studied jazz and classical guitar. He's 46.

Me, I'm 34, been in plenty of rock bands and have been playing bass for 7-8 years. I, however, have been playing guitar for 20 years. I'm the low man on the totem pole too. I still wonder why I'm still in the band.

15. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    I'm the weakest link in my group song knowledge wise. But.... I'm the only bass player :).

If you don't like being lost when theory comes around, learn some. I'm still learning, don't know much. But I know more about some stuff than my guitar players-they can pick out the chords but I can tell them the progression :).

Being the weakest means you'll get better and you've got plenty of room to improve. Being the strongest means you have no incentive to get better.

If they're good guys, ask em to show you some stuff :). You can use chords on your bass too! Okay maybe not 7 note ones but still .....:bassist:

16. I'm just a freshman in high school, but once in a while i get to jam little with two very talented seniors that are wayyyyy out of my playing league, (guitar and alto sax), we mostly play jazz and maybe a little blues, and playing once in a blue moon with these guys has helped me to get motivated to really up my game in terms of the theory and technique. It may be only 10-15 minutes here and there, but IMO, it has done wonders for my playing, just hearing the phrasings and style they use, buth very unique, and applying it to my own

Then there are times where you are too far out of your league and it beats your self esteem into the dirt, like when i played with the southeast districts jazz band last year. I had been playing for only 2 years, I knew 0 theory, could barely read, and everyone there was amazing at whatever is was they played, that was a terrible experience, and when the concert came, i could barely play the stuff and I think i sweated 4 gallons out.

Playing with more advanced players can do wonders for you, but don't take the trial by fire when you're soaked in gasoline :cool:

P.S. Terribly sorry for uber-lengthy post

Happy Playing, Mike

17. I actually think you're underestimating yourself. You're your own worst critic... everyone is. Have they actually said that you're rubbish in comparison? If not, don't even worry about it and just enjoy playing with some talented musicians.

18. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    Best place you can be!

19. you my friend are in a great situation to make yourself a better player

20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I think you are probably better than you give yourself credit for. Players with great chops won't deign to play with a hack. Unless you own the PA or something???????