1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The People vs OJ Simpson

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Feb 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Anyone else watching it? I'm hooked in already. Cuba Gooding Jr is great casting. Travolta is kind of a weirdo. What's up with his plastic surgery and wig piece?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    No but I saw a great interview with Alan Dershowitz the other night. He said he got an advance copy of the movie and watched it. He also said there was a bunch of stuff in that movie even he didn't know.

I will watch it for sure.

3. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Man, Travolta is not aging gracefully. He's trying to get to that mature Pacino wisdom-ly phase of his career, but he just looks weird.

4. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, I've watched the first two episodes. To me, Cuba Gooding, Jr. does NOT make a convincing O.J. Nothing against him. I just don't see any resemblance at all. Appearance-wise, I think the ones who most look like the people they're portraying are David Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian (uncanny!) and the folks who portray Marcia Clark, Chris Darden, and Tom Lange. I think with Travolta, it was a conscious effort to make him look creepy. Clearly, the producers do not have a favorable opinion of Robert Shapiro.

I thought the first episode was good. The 2nd one, which predominantly featured the "slow-speed chase" was kind of boring. But I think things are gonna' get real good as the trial begins.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  5. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Maybe Cuba doesn't look like him, but I think he's doing a really good job of showing OJ's irrational and entitled attitude. It's over the top but it hasn't crossed the cheesy line.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Jeff K likes this.
  6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I'm watching and mostly digging it. I really like the casting. I have zero problems with Cuba Gooding Jr. He's working out better than I had initially expected.

I also expected more out of the chase episode...probably because I want to remember it as such an exciting event. When I really think about it, I have to wonder if the memory of the event was more exciting that the chase actually was. I was also like 10 at the time it happened, so that probably didn't do a lot to help my perception of it.

7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    James Whitmore used to do a stage show as Will Rogers. He didn't look a lot like Will Rogers, but after seeing the show your mental portrait of Will Rogers changed.

bassbrad likes this.
  8. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

knumbskull and TOOL460002 like this.
  9. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    Carpet may need to be steam cleaned, but otherwise it's driveable.

Stewie26 and knumbskull like this.
  10. I remember that trial. Watched it day after day after day after day...the endless testimonials, expert witnesses...on and on....

I'll never forget the look on the prosecutor's faces when the jury said "We find him not guilty".

11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Or on O.J.'s dear friend, Robert Kardashian's face. He couldn't believe it was "Not guilty".

I watched the announcement of the verdict in a break room at work. (Large building with hundreds of workers from various agencies.) Some of them where whoopin' and hollerin' for joy, while others of us just stood there in stunned silence...

12. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Watched the first two eps tonight. It's pretty good, will continue with it.

I was the IT guy for game developer Dynamix at the time. I put the live jury verdict on the big TV screen in the game demo room. Pretty much the entire company stopped working to watch. As the Not Guilty came out, there was mostly stunned silence. Everyone shuffled back to their offices as if they didn't know what to say or how to say it without being racist or offensive.

Stewie26 likes this.
  13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    They're trying to make him look like Robert Shapiro, and well... it's working, but not working at the same time. Freaked me out when I first saw him.

I watched the first 2 episodes and I'm not sucked in. I think probably because I know the whole thing. I too, watched most of it when it was happening live. There's nothing in the movie to really hold my interest... kinda like watching a rerun of something that wasn't all that entertaining to begin with. For me, anyway.

Only part that really impressed me so far was Kato :). That dude was one freaky emmer effer and I think the actor playing him nailed it pretty well.

14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i can only imagine Malcome Jamal & Cuba Gooding laughing there asses off while they were filming the car chase, it was awesome. from Pt.1, Gooding is owning his role as OH JAY, but i'd love to see the bloopers for this whole mini series.
    :rage: "I'M TIRED OF YOU DRIVING ME AROUND, A.C.!!!
    :roflmao::laugh::D

15. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I never knew there were two white Broncos.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I'm really enjoying this show. I look forward to seeing it each week.

OldDog52 likes this.
  17. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Ep 3 was good. Travolta is nailing his impersonation of Bob Shapiro. It would be a caricature, except apparently that's an accurate representation of how Shapiro was.

Lots of good stuff going on in this show.

pacojas likes this.
  18. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    I watched the verdict in my SIXTH grade home room. Yeah. They took a break from teaching English or history to 11-12 year olds to watch the murder trial verdict. I don't recall thinking it odd at the time, but I certainly do now. That was one of two times, ever, that schools put on live tv during my schoolastic endeavors.

MAJOR METAL likes this.
  19. Hoff Kinkmeister

Hoff Kinkmeister

Dec 17, 2015
    That's just what people look like sans thetans.

20. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Last night's episode was my favorite so far. Man it was good, had me laughing hard a bunch of times. I love the way they're playing this out.

48thStreetCustom likes this.