1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The "Pepsi" pedal challenge.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by russpurdy, Mar 15, 2014.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    I don't have the means or skill to do this but it sure would be interesting.

What if someone built some dual pedals with the guts of popular pedals and their joyo/biyang/Asian made clone side by side with no way of telling which was which and then sent them as a tour box. I'd be curious how many people would pick an OCD over an Ultimate Drive or a Rat Tail over a Biyang Mouse. I'm not saying that one is better than the other but when people hear a difference I'm thinking they immediately judge the best one by the price tag (sometimes).

2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Things like this can be done. See smeet's "Phaser Shoot-Out." Surprise! Most people preferred the digital pedal. When they found out, they claimed it "didn't sound digital." Well, I don't buy that "digital" has a certain sound once you get to a certain level of quality. Just like a TV, when the resolution is high enough, it looks more and more lifelike, even if it is digital. Once you hit a certain threshold for sampling, modeling quality, etc., good digital should be indistinguishable from good analog.

I realize I'm making this more about digital vs. analog when your post is really about clones. But I think the same principles apply.