Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The perfect bass for a female player

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zeppelina21, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Zeppelina21

Zeppelina21

Dec 30, 2004
    London UK
    Hello everyone...This is my first post on this forum...I have been browsing for a few days and found this place to be very infomative and dynamic and I quite liked that! so I decided to join.

well, as the title says I'm a girl, 21 years of age and always been very into music, especially classic rock. As you can see, my kick is zeppelina, that's gives you a bit of a clue about my favourite bass player (jpj)

I've been playing guitar for the past three years, but I've always been fascinated by the bass sound...Up until now I hadnt had the chance to buy a electric bass guitar of my own, unfortunately when you're a student money is limited :smug: but finally I will be able to get my own bass guitar and start jammin' :)

ok, so i'm here to get some advice about this bass guitar that looks quite alright for a beginner as well as my financial situation.

I've seen that most people here dont really like fender squier basses and I suppose it's cos it's sort of a beginners bass...I was advised to get a better quality instrument but seeing as I'm a beginner, i think it's best for me to get something like a squier to get going. however, i'm very serious about becoming a bass player, probably be able to form my own band in the future.

I have in mind getting a Fender Squire Affinity P-bass pack, that includes a gig bag, headphones, a fender rumble 15 amp, strap, cable and a cd/instruction book...alll for £229.17

:help: so my question is, do you think this type of bass is alright for a beginner like me, with some musical knowledge, eager to learn and become good at it, or this kind of packs are much more suited for those people that dont really have an interest in becoming professional musicians?

Thank you very much. :cool:

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't think there is much about basses that is gender specific but, reading past the title, I don't think that's really what you're asking about.

If you go with a cheaper bass, it's more likely that you'll end up with an awkward instrument. However, plenty of people have picked up great basses very cheap and more expensive instruments still take some maintenance to keep them at their best.

What guitar equipment do you have already? If you've got an electric guitar, with amp, etc, you may find you can look at spending a bit more on the instrument. I'm guessing the amp in the Fender pack is only 15W so it's likely to struggle in any setting beyond quiet practise and probably won't be more capable than most guitar amps.

Wulf

3. Hmmmm, IMO a yes or no answer is impossible to give here ...
    I've played a Squire that was awesome, and I've played one that was a total piece of s***. (and some in between)
    The quality of Squires is inconsistant to say the least, so whatever you do : try before you buy !
    If you're looking for a lot of bang for the buck, you might want to consider buying second hand.

4. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    try a SX bass they are cheap and well made then you just gotta pickup a small practise amp.

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Don't get the Squier- it's a very poorly made instrument that will have no resale value when it's time for you to move on.

There are lots of much better basses available used for the same money or less. The other day someone was selling an early 80s Ibanez Roadstar for $250 US, which is what, 150 lbs? (Sorry, I don't have a pound currency key).

And don't buy that amp- it doesn't sound good and won't be loud enough for you to play with anyone else. My advice to a beginner on a budget is to find a used SansAmp DI or used POD/vAmp and run into a stereo or headphones. I'm pretty sure used vAmps are going for about $100, so what, 75 lbs?

6. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    get a mustang.
    then give it to me.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I had a 60s fender Mustang and it was the worst bass I've ever owned - thin-sounding, hard to intonate above 12th fret and no variation - only good thing about it was the re-sale value!! ;)

In this case I would recommend a Made in Mexico Fender Jazz as the standard beginner's bass, with decent re-sale value and good playability, tonal options etc.

Try before you buy though!!

8. Zeppelina21

Zeppelina21

Dec 30, 2004
    London UK
    thanks for all your posts. I have been doing more research based on what I have been told by musician friends and people on internet forums and came accross with an Ibanez GSR200 model, which is said to be ideal for beginners, due to its lower cost compared to other ibanez models...

I tried to find reviews on the forum but couldnt find any, I was wondering if someone can give me some information about this model and explain a bit about what i can expect from it.

Are there any famous bass players that play an Ibanez GSR200??? or Have any of you professional musicians played it on stage?

thank you again. :hyper:

9. haha this is weird cause thats the bass i was going to recommend for you. A friend of mine used to own one before up-grading and i played on it every now and then when i went over to his house. it sounds decent and has good playability.

u could play it for years if u wanted and not up-grade, but seeing as u said that your serious about playing bass in the future, you could up-grade if you wanted but this bass is very appropriate for groovin bass noise.

10. Zeppelina21

Zeppelina21

Dec 30, 2004
    London UK
    hehehe perhaps it's a sign that that's the one for me! :cool:
    I've been looking at prices and seen that it is quite affordable for me as well as being a good starting bass....
    about the up-grading...how can that be done?

11. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    My daughter started with an Ibanez GSR200 when she was 13. It worked very well for her and she still uses it as a back up.

She is 15 now, only 5'2" and weighs maybe 100lb. So she is pretty small. She plays a Fender Jazz as her main bass but it's gets heavy after a while and she will go back to the GSR200 because it's lighter.

Over the last 2 years the GSR200 has held up well. There have been no problems with it, and it sounds quite good for a $200.00 bass. The new ones have a bass boost knob that my daughters doesn't have and the price is the same. I don't know if it's active or not but it is a nice feature.

They are worth a serious look.

12. Zeppelina21

Zeppelina21

Dec 30, 2004
    London UK
    Thanks for your post!! I'm very petite too (5'4") and was wondering about how much the ibanez GSR200 weights. Your daughter is smaller than me so probably I wont have any problems with it in terms of size and proportion, but i need to try it out by myself first.

when you say active or passive...what are you refering to exactly ??? I've seen these two words everywhere but I still cant understand the differences between them. Is it something to do with the electronics? Sorry if it sounds dumb, but hey! I'm keen to learn everything there's to know about basses!

thanks again. :D

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Active means means that the bass may have "Active Pickups" meaning that there is a 9 volt battery or two 9 volts (18v power supply ) directly powering the pickups and increasing their sound out put.

It can also mean that the bass has passive pick ups but it has a powered (9volt or 18volt) pre-amp (active electronics)that boosts the signal from the pick ups and will allow for more control over your tone. The powered pre-amps usually will have 2 or 3 band (bass /mid/treble) Eq's on the bass.

You will always need to run 1 or 2 9 volt batteries to get any sound out of your bass. A full passive bass needs no batteries.

I hope this explains it without getting to technical. Of course there are exceptions to everything and there will be lots of opinons about which one actually sound better but this should explain it.

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    For a cheaper bass, active circuitry is not really an essential feature. The quality of the circuits (and, thus, the sound) is likely to be lower and you also need to remember to change the battery from time to time (another expense to consider).

One thing that is almost certain is that the instrument you start on is not the one you'll stick with should your bass playing career progress in earnest. The first bass I ever played was a Hohner semi-acoustic that belongs to my dad; I was playing it again this Christmas and it's not a great instrument (short scale, fragile bridge, tubby sound). I also used a Westone Thunder bass at school (a solid, low budget instrument - it worked pretty well although I wonder if I'd be impressed if I came across it now) and the first bass I owned (an Immage P-bass clone) was really pretty poor, although it got my through my formative gigs!

Therefore, if you can get your hands on a bass and try it, if it works and if it fits your budget, go for it and don't give too much thought just yet to what you'll be playing in five years time. If you had lots of money to spend, a really good bass might speed your progress but I'm sure that many of us who've stuck with it started of with whatever we could get our hands on.

Wulf

15. I can't agree with thisone. I've played a Squire for about 2 years now. It's much better compared to a lot of other low budget basses I've tried, but it shure has a low resale value. The bass is good, the rest of the package s*cks.
    I'd say don't take that package, but build your own.

16. Zeppelina21

Zeppelina21

Dec 30, 2004
    London UK
    Thanks for your post!

i've encountered mixed reactions about Squiers, i guess it depends solely on individual preferences...Still when i go bass-searching I'll try the squier and other basses within the price range (though i'm almost 90% sure about getting the ibanez GSR200)...but i think it's worth trying on different ones.

fortunately I'll be going with my cousin who is a musician and plays the bass too, so he will help me buy the best one.

about the package deal, yeah, i agree that the pack must be really c**p, i too thought about buying my own stuff separately.

I'm still confused about the up-grading bit someone mentioned above. If i get the ibanez GSR200 and decide to up-grade it...does it mean that I would change existing pieces for better ones?

thanks

17. My daughter picks up my Danelectro Longhorn bass sometimes when she is at our house. The short scale suits her and it sounds great. :bassist:

18. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    HTML:
    I'm still confused about the up-grading bit someone mentioned above. If i get the ibanez GSR200 and decide to up-grade it...does it mean that I would change existing pieces for better ones?
    thanks[/QUOTE]

You can upgrade the pick ups ad tuners if you want but it doesn't really make sense to do it on a cheaper bass.

Most people will upgrade to a better instrument and don't bother with the upgrades.

As for the comment on the Squires. I looked at them with my daughter before we got her Ibanez. I noticed that they are Inconsistant in their quality control. Some werent bad but many we looked at were horrible. The finsish and neck joints always looked suspect to me. I'm sure there are some good ones out there but you really have to look hard.

I will leave you with this. My daughters Ibanez is still her back up. She still likes and won't get rid of it. It has also been used by me and other members of our church band and they are always suprised by how well it plays.

19. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    There is nothing wrong with a squier. I own a warwick and I had a recording session recently where I wanted something different. There was a squier in the control room and it sounded great. A Fender is always a good bet :p Get what you can afford and upgrade when you get a little more bass experience. A good bass player is a good bass player whatever the equipment.

20. Zeppelina21

Zeppelina21

Dec 30, 2004
    London UK
    thanks for responding.

Now I've some specific questions about the characteristics of the Ibanez GSR200. I need some explanations about what some of these abbreviations stand for (i already tried to do it but couldnt figure them out) and what's the particular feature (what they actually mean and their purpose)..

:hyper:
    B10 bridge - is that the size? if so, how big/small is it?
    PSND P Neck PU - what does this mean?
    PSND J Bridge PU - what does it mean?
    PHAT II - i'm clueless about this one.
    :help:
    Sorry, perhaps these are really basic questions, but you know, I really want to learn everything!

thanks