Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Perfect Bass Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Biker4Him, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Please.. no one tell me otherwise.... But I have found the perfect bass rig. I can head bang with my metal band, rock it with the alt. band, Praise on Sunday mornings, jazz it up with my fusion guys, and make everybody booty shake with my R&B brothers at their Sat night multi-cultural service. Yep, it's PERFECT!!

After a couple of months waiting, I finally received my "Purity" preamp from Jack Read. There is an entire thread about it in this forum. It is exactly what I've been wanting in a preamp. I know some people WANT thier amp to provide tone... but I'm just the opposite. I want the tone of my basses to be heard, but still with some tube warmth, and occasional tubey overdrive. That's exactly what this preamp does. I can bypass the eq, and I've got pure bass tone. Then for kicks.. you can use the "emphasis" knob and it boosts a broad range of mids and treble to cut through ANY mix. Turn the eq back on, and you have a bass knob that is boost only, plus low mid, upper mid, and treble controls that are boost/cut. They don't offer tons of adjustment, just slight control, which is all I need with the basses I am lucky enough to own (thanks to Corey, A.G., and Brian). The direct out is as quiet as a black hole. There is an effect loop I probably won't use, a mute switch for tuning, and there is a "deep" and "bright" switch. Absolutely the best preamp I've ver used.

For power I am using a Stewart 2.1 thanks again to Jack Read, for the sweet deal. Ya'll know this amp, and you can debate it versus the QSC all day long... who cares.. they both are great amps.

And finally, at the end of the chain is the illustrious AccuGroove "El Whappo".. the best cabinet I've ever heard. It easily pumps out a clear clean low A, and the two tweeters are sooooo sweet on the highs, no harshness, just amazingly smooth!!

Well, I wish I could just shut down the office for the day, and go play.... life is soo good!! And... maybe someday, I'll be as good as all this great gear I have.;)

2. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I have never heard something better than my FAFNER in my 410EBS.
    I am just looking for a 15" and ebs Effects, in addition to my bass pod xt.

Try the fafner man, it s really better than the ampeg and mesa heads I owned.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    B4H,

Congratulations! That should be an exceptional system.
    [Wish I could hear it.]

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Congrats, that does sound nice!

5. We come down to the Dallas area a couple times a year. Maybe you can catch a show...or drive up to okie homa... !!

It sounds great.. I've got a couple of beginner bass lessons I give on Tuesdays. I was using the Benavente.... sounded unbelievable in passive.. with a little bass boost. Super tight punch, and oohlaalaa.. the mids were to die for. I had the emphasis knob up about 1/2 turn, and the treble cut... wow.. This is THE preamp.

I'm sure the Fafner great as well. But no way, it could sound better (to my ears) than the Purity, through the El Whappo.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Biker, glad to hear that you love the Purity so much. It really is an amazing preamp. You have some killer gear my friend.

7. gavintheguy

gavintheguy Guest

Feb 5, 2004
    where do you play at in dallas?

8. Last trip down, we played Dreamworld (which was really wierd. We were the out of town band... Christian band... that he booked with 5 Satanic bands.) The lead singer of one of the bands.. yelled out during his set to "Kill the Christians". It was awesome....
    actually, the crowd loved our music, and listened to our message.

We've also played at Club Red Letter, and have had some other clubs offer, but we couldn't make it those dates.

Hoping to book a couple of weekends this coming summer.

9. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    You do realize black-holes aren't really all that quiet? ;)

Nice rig!

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats on the Purity, B4H! I really love mine also. Like you posted, the "Mid Emphasis" control and "EQ Bypass" are awesome features. I use the "EQ Bypass" a lot, especially when I change to my backup bass. Eventually, I'd like to find a lighter 4-10" than my Ampeg BXT410HL's but they sound great with my Purity and QSC PLX2402. The club I played last weekend had quite a noisy electrical circuit. I could hear the hum coming from the guitarist's Fender amp both nights, but my noise level was almost non-existent. :)

BTW, is your Purity a production model, or is Jack still making pre-production models?

Congrats again, A.P.

11. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Henry...ya da man! Love your set up and bass gears. I'm loving my "purity" too!!! I'm just playing it thru an Accugrove 1 x12 and loving it!!! ....continue to Rock for "HIM" :D

12. Well, the last one I went through, was extremely quiet.... or maybe that was just the absense of my wife;) .

BTW, is your Purity a production model, or is Jack still making pre-production models?
    As far as I know it is now a production model. The seriel number is A403013HI I'm not sure if it is a coincidence that my initials are HI or not... anyway, the thing is da bomb! (wait... is that too 90's)

Hman, thanks a lot. I appreciate it. And congrats to you too. Purity + AccuGroove = :bassist: :hyper: :D

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Please stop talking about this preamp. Please!!!

Alex

P.S. "My SWR Grand Prix is fine, my SWR Grand Prix is fine, no-one can tell the difference in the mix, my SWR Grand Prix is fine..." repeat ad nauseam.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Very, very nice rig! Any pictures?

15. Soon... and very soon. (I hope) my camera has been loaned out.

It's pretty simple though. from bottom to top.. it's power amp/sabine 7100 tuner/Purity preamp... all on top of ole smokey.. (wait... that's a stupid song) On top of "El Whappo".

16. All right. But only because you asked.. I'd hate to be accused of showing off :D
    This is simply the best bass rig I've ever heard, matched with the awesome basses that I am fortunate enough and blessed to own. I know it's only been a couple of weeks, but this rig is absolutely perfect for me. Every nuance of my playing comes through, at lightning quick speed, and the tone of my bass is what I get. I just gotta say thanks to Jack Read, and Mark Wright.. (since this is the amp section.. I'll leave out the Keith & Chris.. woops, I guess not) for building the best equipment out there.

This stuff is so good, they should come take it away from me for lack of talent.:bag:

I know some of you are waiting on your Purity preamp.. After all the anticipation, and long wait.. it actually exceeded the expectation. I know ya'll are gonna love yours.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Looks nice! If you are happy with the sound of your instruments, then that rig will certainly let you hear all the great nuances of your upstream gear. What do you have in mind for the other two rack spaces?

Tom.

18. Probably nothing. Everytime I try effects, I get rid of them. My wireless seems to squash my tone (although very slightly.. it still does) so I'll probably leave it empty.. and enjoy the lack of weight!! But, I'll probably get me a compressor some time in the future. Maybe a Demeter Compulator...wait.. that doesn't go in the rack...;)

Maybe if I find a steal on a power conditioner.. but I think that'll be it. Why.. ??? got suggestions?

19. I'm probably the biggest "mark" in the world. Please forgive me for going on about the "Purity" preamp. But I got to play the rig out with both my regular bands this weekend, and everyone was raving about how great it sounded. I usually get a lot of compliments on my basses, sometimes on my playing ;) , and many times on my tone. But.. this was different. The clarity of the "Purity" running through the AccuGroove made for the cleanest, punchiest, most amazing lows they've ever heard on stage, and the sound guys both couldn't believe what was coming to them out of the magic little silver box. Obviously.. the basses help.. but the preamp is amazing. The crowds obviously loved it too. No one was standing still!!

I love playing Bass!!

20. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    You have my dream rig too biker! You like roscoes and Nords...you like Accugroove cabs...tune you low b to a low A...lots of stuff in common :p :D

I'm shooting for a raven labs PHA-1 pre--> QSC PLX ---> Whappo jr. The only thing i'm worried about is if the Whappo Jr. will have serious depth (something i'm lacking with the current set-up) Have you had the chance to play a Whappo Jr. and/or A/B it with the El Whappo?

Congrats on the rig!!! :hyper: :D