Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THE PERFECT BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Senor SQUID, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I just traded my ROSCOE LG3005 for a LAKLAND 494 DELUXE. I have never been more happier with my decision. This bass has tone and then some. Built like a tank and great for MALA VIDA!! I loved the ROSCOE's looks but never got used to the tone. The LAKLAND 494 has THE TONE!!!

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice.......love that maple-board!!!!!!

3. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Hey Joey, the Roscoe had "the tone" for a bit then the MTD had "the tone" now this one? Things just keep getting better huh? How does this one compare tone-wise to the MTD?

Oh and by the way, congrats on the new bass!

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Laklands are wonderful... congrats on the bass!!!

5. thats a beautiful bass! great body/fingerboard color combo.

6. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I still love my MTD it also has "THE TONE". By "THE TONE" I mean great slap monster great for reggae and cuts like a knife. My particular ROSCOE did not cut very well in live situations. I currently own 2 LAKLAND 4-94 an 1 MTD 535. I am done for now! ;) LAKLANDS aren't fancy but IMHO there is no bass that compares as far as sound, playability, and construction. They are built like tanks and are great workhorse basses. I am sure there are far better built basses in some other peoples eyes. But honestly I am done with having to try every band other the sun. By the way I do miss my Streamer Stage 2 5 string. That bass had great tone. I will have to get another one in the future :D

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Nice Lakland! Great sounding basses. Roscoe's aren't for everyone but then again, I don't know any bass that is. Someone asked me if I could be happy long term with just one bass, I said "Sure, one Roscoe, one Elrick, one F Bass................!" :D

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nice looking bass- Fender clones aren't my cup'o tea though, but still a beautiful bass.

One thing though bro- I have discovered through the years there isn't just one "perfect" tone but a lot of really good, useful ones. Each has its merit. I say this becasue I went through the same thing you did at one time- lots of good basses where one seemd supier tonally than the other. Then one day, I A/B my current "tone monster" against a bass I had owned previosly and then it hit me like a lightning bolt out of the blue.

Ted

9. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Congratulations. That's a beauty. I've visited Dan and crew many times and it's always a thrill. Great craftsmanship and the best customer service in the industry. Enjoy!!

10. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I am starting to realize too that I always gravitate towards the 4 string.

11. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Joey,

Congrats on the bass. You knew you were going to love it. (don't make me say I told you so! :D )

I think your done now...(at least for this month)

Rob

12. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    YEAH BRO!!! My other lakkie will be here on FRIDAY!!!! Brian from LAKLAND called me, they shipped it out today :hyper:

13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats Joey. I've always loved the sound of the Lakland. Their B-string is one of my personal favorites. I'm an old Fender-style bass guy. I instantly felt comfortable on the Lakland, and I wasn't accustomed to having 5 strings at that time. If I ever buy a 5-string, it may very well be a Lakland.

I'm still very much digging my SKB3006, it sounds so horn-like!

Congrats again, killer bass!

-Art

14. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Im glad you found your match. :)