Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THE PERFECT BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Jan 21, 2005.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    hi all, i remember a time when all i knew was that basses had two string less than guitars... but once you start playing (learning) you, not only discover a whole wide world of options and differences, but realise that this tiny things add something to your bass, they impove it...

so i was wonderin... does de perfect bass exist?

i know i could get a job, work till i die and, maybe, afford a custom bass. but i am a student so, does somebody out there allready make this perfect bass and i am not aware?

you might think that everybody´s perfect bass is differen, but im looking for an "affordable" bass with larger than 34" scale for extra tone, some nice wood, neck trough body design, maybe strings throug body, a beutiful body line and more important of all: a huge defined "feel it in your belly without being slopy" super sound.

so.... i was wondering, is this like the holy grial or anybody know witch brand name would be in the headstock?

please, please, please,

help me if you can.

2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    In general does the perfect bass exist? No...

Individually does it exist? Of course... Everyones different, My perfect bass could be easily obtainable with money... I dont have to climb a mountain and swim through a hellish river and find a bass stuck in the middle of a forest...

It just takes Money and Nordstrand for me.

But to the question... To vague to answer...

4 string? 5, 6? 7? Be more specific... About the sound... That has to do with the AMP and the Pups... And a Good amp and head will run you like $700 used... IF you can find what you want... As far a basses... For a "Cheap" 5 I gotta recommend either a Lakland 55-01 (44-01 for 4 banger) or Peavey Cirrus 5(4) wich can be found cheap used...

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yes! A Sadowsky..............................free of charge! :bassist:

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    The perfect bass is the next bass.

Always the next.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    +1

Well said!!!!!

6. Hi!
    +1 too! very well said!
    You're a student?? and because of that you can't afford an expensive bass??
    No! I'm a student and I'll get a F Bass soon....You can do it!
    Just try as many different bass, brands, and when THE one for you will be there, you'll feel it in your hands and in your heart!
    After, that, you just have to work during school holidays!

Vince

7. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Not always.

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    There's a very simple tip to identify the perfect bass, and it works in 3 steps only :

1. Check the brand of the bass
    2. Check if the first syllab is "SA", the second "DOW" and the third one "SKY"
    3. If yes, then you have the perfect bass

:D

9. Perfect bass for me? Would have three requirements:

- the look, sound and feel of my Pedulla

- also, do the Stingray sound to a tee

- also, do the Fender Jazz, bridge p'up soloed, to a tee

No such bass exists AFAIK.

10. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Well, you are probably right. Sometimes, it was the previous one. :meh:

11. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    The perfect bass is always the next bass, until you get the next bass, at which point the previous bass might be the one, especially if it has been sold.

Reading your description, the Peavey Cirrus has most of the attributes you described.

12. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    i think if you get a bass that has 4 strings, amazing wood, almost every tonal option, a perfect neck, a great balance, string spacing,great craftmanship, great controls, jackplates, bridge, a killer look, and a writing that says WAL on the headstock...
    ...you just bumped in "the perfect bass"

Attached Files:

13. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    ok, My Perfect Bass? I have it, The Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass.. now i only need the Perfect rig, and i can live long :)

and maby an Hipshot D-tuner, but that is not that important... ;)