1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The perfect crime????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RexNFX79, Jan 12, 2012.

1. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    Ok so GAS struck again and I have a new bass shipping to my office tomorrow. My next challenge is getting this puppy in the house without Mrs. RexNFX noticing. Obviously this is not a serious thread but I would be interested to hear any ideas that could help me out. :) My typical strategy is bring it in when she isn't looking and then when she eventually sees it and says, "is that new" I give my standard, "not really, I've had it for a while" response. In truth she doesn't care what I buy but I like to avoid the "what did you pay for that" conversation. Anyway, any creative ideas on getting this sucker by the goalie?

2. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    if you have other basses (which I assume you do) just take the case of one you already own and use it to bring the new one back to the house.

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Double gig bag, one bass goes out, two come in.

4. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Personally, I'd vote for cutting a hole in the roof and dropping it in on a rope like they do in the spy movies. But the other suggestions are good too.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    One thing I've done in the past is find a similar bass online selling for too much money and let her know how much of a bargain it was, in fact you'll definitely MAKE money if/when you sell it.

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    :D Man! I thought I was the only guy playing that game.

7. Now, THAT'S sneaky...:cool:

8. Leave the house with an empty case. Make sure she sees it. Come back with a full one.

9. Just buy her some jewelry.
    That works on me.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I love how all y'all married your Moms :p

Most trouble I have is sometimes I have to buy the wife something nice before splurging on myself.

11. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

Dishonesty is not the way to perpetuate a healthy relationship. These threads always blow my mind, but then again, my wife and I share all expenses, and discuss all big purchases.

12. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    [​IMG]

13. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    I'd watch your phrasing there buddy... :D

14. I love that idea. Now the OP just needs a mouse costume.

15. I did the same for a bit.
    Just bought a pedal with. Little xtra cash I had and kept it from her till 1 night I was playing then I told her about it.
    She loves the sounds so she was cool with it.
    The case/gigbag are the best ideas tho.
    Roflmao!!!!!

16. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Put a big, cheesy moustache on each of them and rotate the ones that are out of their cases. If she knows that some are put away, she may not know exactly how many you have and when you decide to take the new one out, she may think it's one of the ones you already had. She may think it looks familiar, but she won't be absolutely sure.

17. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Dress up like a UPS man, with short shorts...have the box with you...she'll hopefully think it's a prop that goes with your costume.

Have your way with her as soon as you get in the door, and when she goes to clean up...you bring the box to your man-cave, and all is well in RexNFX-ville.

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I just tell her.

She was screwed as soon as she bought a Chanel purse for almost $3k. She can't saw much about a $1000 base here and there.

19. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    i found divorce to be simpler

20. Oh, this is so familiar:
    1. Take a guitar case from one of your other basses to work and bring it home in that. Then say I took one of my basses to get it set up. (This a problem if it comes in a case but you can still say it's a bass you took to get set up).

2. If she sees it and notices it's not one you already have then say it is but you had lent it to a mate ages ago and he is finished with it now and returned it to you. (partners have an uncanny knack of knowing it's a new bass even when they take no interest in your basses)

3. Last resort: Yes, it's new but remeber there are prices you paid for it and "wife/partner" prices which are a lot lower. ;)